Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

‘Today’ correspondent Jill Martin breaks down as she shares emotional cancer update on air

2023-10-05 12:17
‘Today’ correspondent and ‘3rd Hour’ commentator Jill Martin recently shared an emotional update on her breast cancer journey
‘Today’ correspondent Jill Martin breaks down as she shares emotional cancer update on air

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: ‘Today’ correspondent and ‘3rd Hour’ commentator Jill Martin recently shared an emotional update on her breast cancer journey on live TV.

She reportedly broke down in tears and revealed how her chemotherapy journey is going on.

On Wednesday, October 4, 2023, ‘Today’ hosts Savannah Guthrie and Hoda Kotb sat down with their co-host Martin to discuss her treatment.

This came after Martin was diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer during the summer. She filmed a documentary of her journey and also shared that she felt loved and safe during her tough times.

Martin also urged the ‘Today’ viewers to get tested for breast cancer early as she recalls her time as “hell for me and my family for the past two and a half months.”

‘Today’ correspondent Jill Martin spoke about breast cancer journey

During a recent ‘Today’ segment, Hoda Kotb talked about Jill Martin and how she continues to work despite her ongoing health scare.

While discussing her cancer journey with Kotb and Savannah Guthrie, Martin admitted, “It's a disconnect cause I look like me and I see what people see and I sound like me but it's been hard.”

She continued as she looked straight into the camera with teary eyes, “As difficult as it's been, it was so important for me to document this journey while fighting in real time. This has been hell for me and my family for the past two and a half months."

Martin aimed to raise awareness about the importance of early detection for both women and men, emphasizing on the significance of getting tested to prevent others from going through the challenging experience that she is currently facing.

Jill Martin opens up about her chemotherapy sessions

Jill Martin’s battle with breast cancer began during the summer, with a diagnosis of Stage 2. In her documentary segment, she candidly shared her emotions, expressing feelings of love and safety despite the challenging circumstances.

Cameras captured her journey through treatment, offering viewers a glimpse into the reality of her “fighting for her life.”

While undergoing chemotherapy, Martin dispelled common misconceptions, stating, "It's not the movie that you picture. It's not throwing up in the bathroom. I sleep all day for five days.”

She further added, “Chemo has something called 'The Red Devil' that I'm getting, that's what they need to fight cancer. Chemo is my friend, fighting against this horrible disease.”

Martin shared that she managed to preserve some of her hair during chemotherapy through Cold Capping, a process that freezes hair follicles, although she did experience a 30% hair loss.

The correspondent welled up as she discussed her wedding, which took place just the year before.

She said, “I felt so beautiful that night and I felt so happy and I enjoyed every pig in a blanket but I can't help but think I had cancer there and if I caught it then would I not have needed all of that."

Jill Martin urges viewers for early checkup

Back in the studio, Martin took a moment to compose herself after watching the emotional clip, with her supportive co-hosts offering comfort and solace.

Once she regained her composure, Martin passionately urged everyone to prioritize early testing, emphasizing on how it could have potentially spared her from undergoing chemotherapy.

She said, “Everyone is either going through this or has someone going through this. What I want to say is don't be scared to go get that test. Don't get your mammogram, don't put it off. The alternative is worse.”

"Get the information, use it for your power and you take the power into your own hands so that you can take steps. I just want the information out there,” she concluded.

Kotb, deeply moved by her co-star's resilience, couldn't help but express her admiration and said, "I see you walk into the studio saying hi to everyone just like the old Jill, carrying what you're carrying and I know that you get strength from your family because I know they adore you."