Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Beyond Chandler Bing: Sports world remembers Matthew Perry as NHL superfan and former junior tennis star

2023-10-29 21:23
Matthew Perry is remembered by sports enthusiasts as a massive sports fan and a top-ranking junior tennis player
Beyond Chandler Bing: Sports world remembers Matthew Perry as NHL superfan and former junior tennis star

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: The sudden demise of the 'Friends' star Matthew Perry, 54, is being mourned by athletes, sports teams, and fans alike. Perry was reportedly found unresponsive in a hot tub at his residence on October 28.

The actor who became a household name for playing the role of Chandler Bing on the sitcom was an avid sports enthusiast in real life, as well as a former player himself.

Perry was a top-ranked junior tennis player in Canada before he switched careers to pursue acting, reported The Guardian.

Matthew Perry was known as a diehard hockey fan

According to the Daily Mail, the organists for the Nashville Predators and Los Angeles Kings played the 'Friends' theme during their respective games on the night of the actor's death.

The Ottawa Senators was Perry's favorite club. The actor had even managed to sport their logo in his successful 2000 comedy, 'The Whole Nine Yards'.

Perry was honored by the club on social media, who posted following the news of his death, "Saddened to learn about the passing of Matthew Perry, one of Ottawa's proudest sons and the biggest hockey fan."

"Matthew Perry's passing is a loss felt not only by his fans worldwide but also by the city of Ottawa. He was not only a talented actor but also a proud supporter of hockey. His love for the game and his contributions to both the entertainment and sports worlds will be remembered with great fondness. Our thoughts are with his family and the people of Ottawa during this difficult time," a Senators fan tweeted.

Over the years, Perry was frequently seen at NHL games. He attended New York Rangers games at Madison Square Garden, as well as went to see the Kings and Anaheim Ducks in Southern California.

It was not just hockey that Perry followed. In 2002, he tossed out the first pitch at a Los Angeles Dodgers game. He was also seen at the Los Angeles Lakers games fairly regularly in the early 2000s.

Matthew Perry's stint as a tennis player

Perry, who was born in Massachusetts and raised in Ontario, was one of the top-ranked Canadian junior players in his youth.

In an interview with The New York Times in 2002, Perry stated, "I needed to succeed at whatever I was doing so I could feel better about myself. I had this incredible drive on the tennis court, and that translated into acting."

Before shifting his focus to acting, Perry ranked 17th nationally in singles and third in doubles tennis.

Tags news