Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Idris Elba gets candid on 'Today' about his career, says filming 'Luther' wasn't fun due to hectic schedule

2023-09-04 14:55
'Luther' star Idris Elba appeared on 'Sunday Today' to discuss some of his iconic movies and TV shows with Willie Geist
Idris Elba gets candid on 'Today' about his career, says filming 'Luther' wasn't fun due to hectic schedule

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: 'Luther' star Idris Elba was recently welcomed by Willie Geist on the ‘Today’ show as a part of the host's beloved segment 'Sunday Today' where he welcomes new stars every weekend and dives deep into their lives.

During the conversation, Elba opened up about his experience of filming ‘Luther,' admitting that it was "not fun." The actor also boasted about his career, saying that he had reached a point where he didn't need to audition anymore.

Idris Elba shares his experience of filming 'Luther'

No doubt, 'Luther' was a turning point in Idris Elba’s life, but when Willie Geist expressed, "It looks like a lot of fun as a viewer to play this character," the actor interrupted the host to say, "No."

"No?" asked a shocked Geist and continued, "It’s just brutal because you get beat up so much?"

Elba explained, "Getting up at 4 am, the rain, cold. I was just like, can we do a Luther where he’s in Hawaii," about why he wasn't keen on 'Luther's filming.

The 'Today' host then joked that he smelled a sequel, and Elba quipped, "Luther in Jamaica."

"I say it isn’t fun, I played him for ten years, and he is one of my dearest characters," clarified the 'Hijack' actor.

Idris Elba says he doesn't need to audition anymore

During his conversation with 'Today' host Willie Geist, some of Idris Elba’s most iconic movies and shows were mentioned, ranging from 'The Office' to playing Heimdall in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Geist applauded Elba, saying, "It’s got to be sort of a head trip to say I can sort of have my choice now of things that I want to do."

The 'Beast' actor expressed, "Someone asked me the other day – do you still audition?" A genuine smile on Elba’s face formed as he continued, "I was like…no. It was like an arrogant moment, and I was like no, I don’t audition."

He also admitted in this interview that Robert De Niro has been his biggest inspiration, but he hasn't had a chance to convey that to him yet.