Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Alex Trebek once hinted at Ken Jennings taking over his 'Jeopardy!' host role: 'How would you feel...'

2023-07-21 16:46
It can safely be said that Ken Jennings is perhaps the perfect successor for late 'Jeopardy!' host Alex Trebek
Alex Trebek once hinted at Ken Jennings taking over his 'Jeopardy!' host role: 'How would you feel...'

CULVER CITY, CALIFORNIA: Ken Jennings has had the longest association with the game show 'Jeopardy!' after its legendary late host Alex Trebek. It can safely be said that Jennings is perhaps the perfect successor for Trebek after he got to contribute to the game show as more than a contestant.

An old video from the game show has resurfaced and given way to speculation that the news of Jennings joining 'Jeopardy!' may not be as recent as we initially thought. The video shows Trebek hinting that Jennings should join him behind the host's podium.

Alex Trebek hints at Ken Jennings taking over his 'Jeopardy!' gig

The video was brought up by one of the viewers of the game show on Twitter. It was from almost 19 years ago when Jennings was the triumphant contestant with the 74-day winning streak. Showing a conversation between the two, the video covered an interview round of the 2004 season.

"I've been by this podium a lot, I feel at home here," young Jennings told Trebek. The late host then replied with, "Well, how would you feel over-" before he cut himself off while pointing at his own podium. He then dismissed his suggestion with, "Well, no we won't talk about that."

How did Ken Jennings come to host 'Jeopardy!'?

Since Trebek was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, 'Jeopardy!' has faced numerous obstacles. The show had to hire a range of guest hosts, none of them seeming to work for a more permanent position. Jennings had already extended his responsibilities to the production team of the show and had also guest-hosted several episodes. He eventually ended up as the permanent co-host alongside Mayim Bialik.

"I don’t want to put words in anybody’s mouth," Jennings told Vulture in an interview, "but over the years, I did get the sense that it was an idea that wouldn’t have annoyed Alex." Jennings further added, "...he thanked me for coming in to fill in for him." He continued, "That just broke me. I said, 'Alex, are you kidding? We should be thanking you. I’d take a bullet for you, Alex. I’m happy to help.'"