Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'These are musical things that I don't get to do in the band': Chvrches singer Lauren Mayberry on making solo music

2023-10-07 15:26
Chvrches singer Lauren Mayberry wanted to make different music as she embarks on a solo career.
'These are musical things that I don't get to do in the band': Chvrches singer Lauren Mayberry on making solo music

Lauren Mayberry is keen to differentiate her solo music from Chvrches material.

The 36-year-old singer announced her first solo tour and music earlier this year and revealed that she didn't want to simply mimic records she had made with the 'Miracle' synth-pop group.

Explaining how she isolated her solo work, Lauren told NME: "It was easy, because it was born out of things that I couldn't or wouldn't write in the band.

"The worse writing sessions were when I went in with someone who didn't really understand what I was talking about and we would just sort of write a s*** Chvrches song.

"I was like, 'This is a nice afternoon, but what's the point in this?' There's already a universe where I can make that and I enjoy it. I don't see why I would want to make the Tesco own brand version of that. These are musical and lyrical things that I don't get to do in the band or don't feel comfortable doing in the band."

Lauren - who is part of Chvrches with Iain Cook and Martin Doherty - admits that she felt plenty of trepidation about going it alone.

She explained: "There's always nervousness. For any frontperson in a band, but especially a woman, as soon as you say the words 'solo material' people get very upset with you. I feel like every second sentence is, 'I'm not breaking up the band, guys, however...'

"But we're lucky enough to have fans that care so much that they don't want it to break up. I feel grateful, but I'm trying to be reassuring to them - 'Just give us a couple more years guys, it's going to be fine.'"