Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Today' host Jill Martin shares positive health update as she returns to NBC show after breast cancer diagnosis

2023-08-08 12:52
Jill Martin revealed that she underwent a successful 'double mastectomy' at Mount Sinai
'Today' host Jill Martin shares positive health update as she returns to NBC show after breast cancer diagnosis

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: The fashion contributor to ‘Today’ show Jill Martin has finally returned to the NBC show with a major health update following her breast cancer diagnosis back in July.

On Monday, August 7 ‘Today’ broadcast, Martin opened up about her struggles after she found out about the cancer. She candidly talked about undergoing a mastectomy six weeks after going public with the devastating news. Martin's lengthy update on her breast cancer diagnosis to ‘Today’ viewers was basically about how she’s been feeling after her mastectomy. Earlier in July, she got emotional after revealing in an interview with morning show hosts Hoda Kotb and Savannah Guthrie that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer.

Jill Martin opens up about her mastectomy

During a recent ‘Today’ episode, Martin had an in-depth conversation with the hosts about her diagnosis and treatment which she referred to as “earth-shattering six weeks”. She said, “In the past six weeks, I learned I am positive for a BRCA2 mutation, had stage 2 breast cancer, then had a double mastectomy and learned that my life will soon look very different”. She further added that with the help of genetic testing, she learned about the gene mutation which caused breast cancer. Fortunately, after undergoing a mastectomy, she says she’s doing well physically but emotionally it has been a roller coaster ride. Martin exclaimed, “My double mastectomy was successful. A week after my surgery, my 45-minute meeting with my oncologist, Dr Joseph Sparano at Mount Sinai in New York City, started with the news that there is a good chance I am cancer-free, but I need further treatment to help ensure that”. “I had an aggressive tumor removed, and my surgeon, Dr. Elisa Port, removed 18 lymph nodes, one of which was cancerous. They actually test the nodes in real-time, so I found out the results of the biopsy when I woke up from the four-hour surgery”, she said.

After dealing with her diagnosis and sharing treatment insights, Martin expressed gratitude for the outpouring of support through messages, calls, and prayers from fans. She acknowledged feeling “touched, blown away, and humbled” during her recovery process. Despite progress, there are more stages ahead in her treatment journey. The ‘Today’ anchor anticipates learning about her “exact next steps” after her Oncotype test outcomes are assessed by her doctor. This test gauges the genes' response probability to treatment, and she awaits further clarity after the Wednesday evaluation. She reveals, “I do already know for sure I will need to have another surgery, preventatively, to remove my ovaries and fallopian tubes to decrease my risk of ovarian cancer. In my case, I will need a full hysterectomy, as I have had fibroid issues in the past. I will also need to take anti-hormonal drugs for 5 years. And I will most likely need chemotherapy because of the aggressiveness of the tumor”. Adding more to her disastrous journey, she described feeling as if she was in a “state of shock” and cried all the time. However, she chose to fight and “get up” and use her strength and platform to fight cancer. She concluded, “I will be on and off the air dealing with treatment for the next six months, but I thought it was important to share this journey with you in real-time. I have shared the happy, the sad, and now the scary. We will get through this together”.

Jill Martin’s heartbreaking revelation

In July, Martin made a public announcement about her breast cancer diagnosis on the ‘Today’ show. The 47-year-old talked about her journey since she discovered cancer and brought on her doctor on ‘Today’ set to share more insights into the diagnosis and treatment so far. She said, “This feels like an out-of-body experience,” Jill began, after Hoda asked the star to share her news with viewers.” Martin gasped with teary eyes as she revealed, “I have been diagnosed with breast cancer. And it feels like someone else telling this story. Six weeks ago, it happened really fast.” Although her mammogram was positive, however, her doctor told her to get breast cancer genetic testing following her family’s history with the disease. She claimed, “I got the test, and it came back positive,” she said. “I was planning on getting the preventative surgery. That was my choice”. During the pre-surgery scans, medical professionals uncovered the cancer. Overwhelmed with emotion, she shared her family history about her grandmother's breast cancer-related passing and her mother's experience with a double mastectomy followed by recovery. Tearfully, Martin admitted, “What I’m most sad about is watching my parents watch me go through this.” Kotb reassured her expressing love and anticipation for her return as she said, “Jill, can we just say, we love you very much. We cannot wait to see you on the other side of this. You are full of optimism and hope, I know you’re scared, but you know that you have a family here waiting for you to come back with open arms.”

Tags news epcelebs