Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

John Mellencamp opens up about his life and relationship with Meg Ryan: 'She hates me to death'

2023-06-16 01:21
'I love Meg Ryan. I went with her for ten years. She doesn’t love me so much. She’s a great girl. I’m just a shitty boyfriend,' said John Mellencamp
John Mellencamp opens up about his life and relationship with Meg Ryan: 'She hates me to death'

BLOOMINGTON, INDIANA: John Mellencamp, 71, recently reflected on his life and expressed his regrets and shortcomings as actor Meg Ryan's boyfriend accepting that he was the one who messed up the relationship which officially ended in 2019.

Talking to Esquire, the 'Small Town' singer shared he still loves Meg, 61, even though she doesn't love him. "I love Meg Ryan. I went with her for ten years. She doesn’t love me so much. She’s a great girl. I’m just a shitty boyfriend," he told the publication.

'We were so fucking lost'

When they started their relationship, the singer and 'Sleepless in Seattle' actress had been going through a personal transformation. The singer said they has just come out of their shell and tried to navigate independently, however, they felt lost and didn't know even how to perform simpler tasks. "Meg Ryan had just come out of her shell; I had just come out of my shell. We started dating. And we decided to do things on our own instead of having people do stuff for us," he shared before adding "We were so fucking lost. We didn’t know how to do anything."

'I think she’s learned how to do everything, and I’ve learned how to do nothing'

Mellencamp recounted an incident when they both struggled to check out of a hotel and even got confused while buying the groceries as they didn't know how to use the credit card. As Mellencamp stated, "I’ve never checked out of a hotel by myself. She and I went to a grocery store, and they wanted our credit card, and we looked at each other and said, “Here it is,” and they said, “No, you’ve got to put it in this thing,” and we went, “Then what happens?” We laughed at how stupid we are, so hard we cried. I think she’s learned how to do everything, and I’ve learned how to do nothing."

'I loved Meg Ryan. She hates me to death.'

The three-year relationship between the Connecticut native and the Indiana-born artist ended in August 2014, the reason as per a source cited by People was "distance." The pair then reconciled again in the same year. Even as the pair were spotted together again after their first breakup, Mellencamp dated Christie Brinkley for over a year. Two months after getting back together, Mellencamp in an interview with Howard Stern said. “Oh, women hate me,” Mellencamp said. “I loved Meg Ryan. She hates me to death.” Mellencamp blamed her hostility on his own failings, portraying himself as irritable, gloomy, and challenging to deal with.

It was Ryan who 'didn’t want to get married again'

One year after their engagement in 2019, they finally called it quits. Although, despite getting well along as "they spent a lot of time together," insiders who talked to People at the time "felt bad they split". It was Ryan who “didn’t want to get married again," as he had already married thrice, the insider added further and it remained unclear how important the marriage was to Meg. Elsewhere in the interview, Mellencamp said, "My goal is to get to eighty. That gives me ten years. Do you know how fast ten years goes by for me? I’ve got only ten summers left. Ten summers is not that long." But one thing Ryan feels good at is, "I'm a really good smoker."

Tags news epcelebs