Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Who is Lesley Douglas? Russell Brand's former boss likely to shed light on claims against comedian after release from confidentiality agreement

2023-09-25 20:30
DJ Paul Gambaccini previously claimed that Lesley Douglas had an 'almost obsessive' commitment to Russell Brand and treated him as her 'pet'
Who is Lesley Douglas? Russell Brand's former boss likely to shed light on claims against comedian after release from confidentiality agreement

LONDON, ENGLAND: Former BBC Radio 2 controller and Russell Brand’s ex-boss Lesley Douglas is no longer bound by the "obligations owed… to her former employer," as per Daily Mail.

Douglas is no longer bound by the confidentiality agreement that restricted her from commenting on the allegations brought against the comedian.

Why was Lesley Douglas’s confidentiality agreement revoked?

An insider from BBC revealed that the network's director general Tim Davie "will want her to have to answer questions because the buck stopped with Lesley," according to Daily Mail.

Douglas also reportedly ignored several complaints against Russell Brand in 2007 that would expose his "aggression and disrespect."

Lesley Douglas allegedly treated Russell Brand as her ‘pet’

Previously, DJ Paul Gambaccini claimed that the former BBC Radio 2 controller Lesley Douglas had an "almost obsessive" commitment to Russell Brand and treated him as her "pet," as per Daily Mail.

Douglas is known for championing the 'Get Him to the Greek' star since the time she introduced him to the digital station Radio 6 Music and subsequently to Radio 2.

After she resigned following the Sachsgate incident in 2008, Gambaccini apparently attacked the former BBC boss for her treatment of Brand.

"The fact is that he was her pet, and she let him get away with so many outrageous things," said the DJ.

He further added, "Lesley had a commitment to Russell which was almost obsessive. That is to say, she believed that his hire was a good move for Radio 2 and she stood by him thick and thin even while he was alienating almost everyone else."

Gambaccini claimed that he also warned Douglas about hiring Brand as he had a premonition of it getting bad.

Apparently, several complaints had been brought against Brand in the weeks prior to Sachsgate, but Douglas never took any steps regarding them.

However, a statement from Douglas’ representative refuted the claims, and it was read during the latest episode of Channel 4's 'Dispatches'.

It said, "Ms Douglas did not at any time encourage, enable, and/or fail herself to take any adequate steps within her power with regard to the conduct of Mr Brand of which she was aware."

"She is unable to provide any further information which may be relevant to the matters due to the obligations owed by her to her former employer," added the statement.

Why did Lesley Douglas resign from the BBC?

Lesley Douglas resigned from BBC following the Sachgate incident, where Russell Brand and Jonathan Ross left a series of lewd messages on the answerphone of Andrew Sachs regarding her granddaughter, Georgina Baillie, during 'The Russell Brand Show'.

The comedian claimed he had physical relations with Sach’s granddaughter, as per The Guardian.

Following a backlash regarding the incident, Douglas resigned from all her positions in BBC Trust, including her role as the controller of BBC Radio 2 and BBC 6 Music, by sending a letter to then director general Mark Thompson.

She wrote, "The last week has been a painful one for the BBC and particularly for BBC Radio 2," before continuing, "The events of the last two weeks happened on my watch. I believe it is right that I take responsibility for what has happened."

Douglas added, "It is a matter of the greatest possible sadness to me that a programme on my network has been the cause of such a controversy," along with, "I would like to take this opportunity to offer my personal apology to Andrew Sachs and his family and to the audience for what has happened."

Tags news