Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

What role did Kathleen Turner play in 'Friends'? Actress remembers Matthew Perry after his tragic death

2023-10-30 18:25
Kathleen Turner, who played Matthew Perry's father in 'Friends', recalls meeting the late actor 10 years ago
What role did Kathleen Turner play in 'Friends'? Actress remembers Matthew Perry after his tragic death

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Oscar-nominated actress Kathleen Turner, known for her portrayal of Charles Bing in 'Friends,' expressed her grief on the untimely death of her on-screen son, Matthew Perry.

The 69-year-old actress told People that she is "very sad for Matthew" after learning about his death.

Perry, 54, was found dead in a hot tub in his Los Angeles home on October 28.

He played Chandler Bing in NBC's hit 90s sitcom 'Friends' from 1994 to 2004. The sarcastic Chandler was well-received by millions of fans worldwide, making Perry a notable figure in the entertainment industry.

What role did Kathleen Turner play in 'Friends?'

Turner landed a guest role in the seventh season of 'Friends.'

She first appeared as Perry's character, Chandler Bing's transgender parent, Charles Bing, in Episode 22 of Season 7, 'The One with Chandler's Dad'.

Her character also had a drag queen persona named 'Helena Handbasket'. She was first seen in the show when Monica, played by Courtney Cox, learns that her fiancee Chandler has not invited his estranged father to their wedding, and the couple goes to Las Vegas to invite him.

Turner extended her guest role in the final episode of the season 'The One with Monica and Chandler's Wedding'.

Despite being a transgender woman, Turner's character was referred to as Chandler's 'father' throughout the show, which has drawn widespread criticism in recent times.

Kathleen Turner still remembered as Chandler's father

Turner told People that she met Perry ten years ago, apparently for the Broadway production of 'Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf'.

"He came to see one of my Broadway shows and he came backstage," said the actress. "When he saw me, he yelled out, 'Hey dad' and everyone thought it was pretty cool."

"He had a good sense of humor and a good heart. He liked other people, which, to me, is terribly important, especially for an actor," Turner fondly remembered Perry.

Turner said, "It's extremely sad when you think about how young [he was] and a pity he couldn't get more control."

Turner also said how some people still recognize her as Chandler's father.

"I am still constantly recognized by a certain age group as Chandler's dad." "I met somebody last night, and she said, 'Aren't you a movie star?' I said, 'Yeah, but before your time.' And she said, 'Well, where would I know you from?' and I said, 'Chandler's dad.' She said, 'Oh, my God!'"

"I need to emphasize that these kids were a tight group," Turner said, recalling the close bond between the main characters of the show, played by Perry, Cox, Jennifer Aniston, Matt LeBlanc, Lisa Kudrow, and David Schwimmer.

Tags news