Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

The 'bimbo' and the 'bogeyman': Inside Megyn Kelly's tumultuous relationship with Donald Trump

2023-09-08 17:52
Donald Trump and Megyn Kelly's relationship was once characterized by a heated feud, reaching its peak during the 2015 Republican primary campaign
The 'bimbo' and the 'bogeyman': Inside Megyn Kelly's tumultuous relationship with Donald Trump

MIAMI, FLORIDA: Megyn Kelly is set to host her first interview in seven years with former president Donald Trump next week, and emotions are running high for what's expected to be a candid and spirited conversation.

The announcement was made by the host of the 'Megyn Kelly Show' in a social media video, revealing that the in-person interview will air on Thursday, September 14, at noon on SiriusXM.

Kelly expressed her excitement, assuring viewers that the interview would be nothing short of captivating.

Megyn Kelly 'looking forward' to interview Donald Trump

"I'm really looking forward to this," she said in the video, adding, "It's going to be great, it's going to be spicy, and it's going to be tough, but it's going to be good, and hopefully, we're both going to enjoy it."

This interview holds significance as it marks their first on-air conversation since May 2016. At that time, their relationship was characterized by a heated feud, reaching its peak during the 2015 Republican primary campaign.

Kelly hinted at the depth of their forthcoming discussion, stating, "We're going to have a lot of time to get into a variety of topics in person."

She expressed gratitude for Trump's agreement to the interview, emphasizing that she was neither a Trump critic nor a sycophant.

"I'm very glad that he agreed to do it. He's not saying yes to everyone," she said.

"And to his credit, you know, Donald Trump knows that I'm not somebody who suffers from Trump Derangement Syndrome like the vast majority of people in the media, but I'm also not a sycophant, so I'm not going to go in there and be a bootlicker," she added.

Kelly acknowledged Trump's undeniable charisma and reflected on their past conflicts.

She said, "There's no question he has a natural magnetism. Whether you love him or hate him, that is indisputable. I'm sorry, it's just a fact."

She further stated, "He walks into the room, even before he was president, but especially post and there's an air that must be paid attention to."

She continued, "That's just who he is. It's a lifetime of celebrity and now becoming really the most famous man in the world. So I'm very glad that all that nonsense between us is water under the bridge."

She elaborated, "The left freaked out at those comments, entire podcasts were devoted to those comments. Like ‘Oh my god, what's happened to Megyn Kelly? She’s bent the knee.’"

She said further, "They need me to hate him for some reason. They need as many sort of foils to Donald Trump as they can get."

"And if they think you're one and you turn out not to be, they become apoplectic. It's just like a robotic chip has malfunctioned," Kelly quipped.

It's worth noting that the history between Kelly and Trump goes back to the period preceding the 2016 Presidential Race.

A brief recap of the Kelly-Trump feud over the years

Before the 2016 presidential race

Before officially announcing his candidacy in June 2015, Trump was already a presence in Kelly's life.

"He would send me press clippings about me that he would just sign 'Donald Trump.' And he called me from time to time to compliment a segment," Kelly previously told Vanity Fair.

She added, "I didn't know why he was doing that. And then when he announced that he was running for president, it became more clear."

The first Republican debate

The feud between Trump and Kelly ignited on August 6, 2015, during the first Republican presidential debate, marked by a contentious exchange.

Kelly directed a question at Trump, saying, "You've called women you don't like fat pigs, dogs, slobs, and disgusting animals."

Trump's response was met with laughter from the crowd as he quipped, "Only Rosie O'Donnell."

Addressing Kelly's call-out of his controversial comments about women, Trump said, "Oftentimes it's fun, it's kidding, we have a good time."

He added, "Honestly, Megan, if you don't like it, I'm sorry. I've been very nice to you although I could probably not be based on the way you've treated me."

The next day, Trump made headlines by telling CNN, "You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes. Blood coming out of her wherever."

In response, Kelly asserted, "I won't apologize for doing good journalism."

Conflict on social media

Following Kelly's return to TV after her initial clash with Trump, the then-presumptive GOP candidate turned to his favorite form of self-expression, X, then Twitter, to criticize her.

He even retweeted users who referred to her as a "bimbo."

Months later, Trump described Kelly as a "lightweight reporter" and said she was "so average in so many ways."

Despite a relatively cordial reunion at the 11th Republican debate in March 2016, Trump resumed attacking Kelly on Twitter, calling for a boycott of her show and labeling her as "sick" and "the most overrated person on TV."

He also called her "crazy" and announced his decision to skip a scheduled March 21 GOP debate hosted by Fox News, which Kelly was moderating.

These vitriolic attacks prompted a response from Fox News, and Trump's campaign called Kelly an "overrated reporter" and described her show, 'The Kelly File', as "second-rate."

Clearing the air

In April of that year, Kelly took the initiative to request a meeting with Trump, and it was granted.

This paved the way for a reconciliatory interview. Kelly explained, "I just wanted to stop. You'd get past an incident, and then it would start again. It was really shocking."

She reached out after noticing a brief hiatus in Trump's attacks, believing that if there could be a period of calm on his part, they could improve their relationship. The meeting appeared to be a success.

Trump remarked, "I have great respect for the fact that Megyn was willing to call me. Few people would have been able to do that."

He added, "She has natural showbiz ability with unlimited potential. Regarding the interview, I know people will enjoy it."

Tensions between Team Trump and Camp Kelly seemed to have eased in recent years, and they now appear to hold mutual admiration.

Water under the bridge

This latest interview announcement comes just two months after Kelly extended kind words to Trump, marking a significant turn in their once-turbulent relationship.

In July, Kelly openly addressed her past feud with Trump. She mentioned enjoying a private one-on-one conversation with the 77-year-old former president, who had previously called her "crazy" and a "bimbo."

Kelly expressed her enthusiasm, saying, "When he came into the arena, we met just one-on-one, his team was standing nearby, but he and I got a one-on-one together for the first time in years, and it was, frankly great to see him."

She concluded by asserting that the past conflicts between them are now behind them. "All that nonsense between us is under the bridge," she said, adding, "He could not have been more magnanimous."

Tags news