Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

What did Latto say about working with Mariah Carey? Artist talks about women rappers in the industry

2023-08-22 08:18
'It’s a very innovative time for female rap. I think we are breaking down new doors,' Latto said
What did Latto say about working with Mariah Carey? Artist talks about women rappers in the industry

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Latto had an unforgettable experience working with fellow performer Mariah Carey.

The rapper shared that she’s been grateful and inspired by the latter’s ‘Big Energy.’ The 24-year-old, in an interview, told CNN, “Once you work with Mariah Carey, anything is possible.”

She added, “I feel like anything is possible at this point. I’ll just be praying and working hard and it just be like kind of falling in my lap for real.”

What was Latto's breakthrough song?

The duo joined DJ Khaled for the ‘Big Energy’ remix which was released in March 2022 after the original track dropped in September 2021.

The original version had a sample of Tom Tom Club’s 1981 song ‘Genius of Love’ which Carey also sampled on her 1995 R&B classic ‘Fantasy.’

On the updated version of the Latto’s track, the ‘Lottery’ crooner went on to interpolate the lyrics to ‘Fantasy’ in the opening verse. ‘Big Energy’ song became her breakthrough track and reached number three spot on the Billboard Hot 100.

It also earned her the first Grammy nomination for ‘Best Melodic Rap Performance.’

“I think everything happened for a reason. I think my career has been moving at its own pace and the pace works good for me,” she told CNN.

What did Latto say about the hip-hop music genre as it turns 50?

The ‘Another Nasty for Song’ artist collaborated with hip-hop legend Rakim on a new rendition of his song ‘Don’t Sweat the Technique.’ She further talked about women rappers making their own names in the industry.

“Female rappers have to go twice as hard just for equal respect as men. It’s a very innovative time for female rap. I think we are breaking down new doors and setting new tones for a female rapper,” while admitting that there is a long road ahead.

“It's been a long time coming for women in rap. I think it is just my duty to do that. We've been going 10 times as hard for equal recognition as the men, and I just think it's my responsibility to bring others up as I go," she said.

"I see how hard they work and how hard we have to go to literally just get equal recognition. So it's like, ‘Let me do my part,” Latto said on the hip-hop genre," she continued, according to People.

She further said, “I hope that I'm leaving behind a legacy of just confidence and empowerment for women, and maybe just like an escape from your everyday life and just turn on some Latto and feel empowered, feel like anything is possible, and I'm not taking no for an answer.”