Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

What is wrong with Sam Neill? 'Jurassic Park' star reveals letter he wrote to children after heartbreaking diagnosis

2023-10-17 18:48
Sam Neill opened up about the emotional letter he wrote to his children as he battles stage-three blood cancer
What is wrong with Sam Neill? 'Jurassic Park' star reveals letter he wrote to children after heartbreaking diagnosis

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Sam Neill, the prominent actor known for iconic roles in movies such as 'Jurassic Park' and 'Event Horizon', recently opened up about a heartfelt letter he wrote to his children after receiving a devastating diagnosis of advanced blood cancer.

The 76-year-old actor, originally from New Zealand, revealed earlier this year that he is facing stage three angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma (AITL), a rare form of cancer that impacts the lymphatic system, the body's defense mechanism against diseases.

After an unsuccessful attempt with chemotherapy, Neill is now undergoing an experimental medication. Despite this glimmer of hope, he acknowledges that the treatment is not a permanent solution, leaving him in a constant "fight for life."

Sam Neill's heartfelt letter to his loved ones

In a candid conversation with Australian Story, Neill revealed the poignant letter he wrote to his children — his son Tim, daughter Elena, and his grandchildren.

"I didn't know really how long I had to live," the actor candidly admitted as he described his motivation for composing the letter.

"And I thought, yeah, I should probably write something down for my children and my grandchildren because I may not be here in a couple of months, and it would be good for them to have a sense of me and some of the things that I've done," he added.

What makes Neill's story even more compelling is his unwavering determination to face his illness with courage and resilience. After conventional chemotherapy failed to yield the desired results, he embarked on a new experimental drug regimen.

Despite being aware that this approach has a limited timeframe, he remains undeterred by the prospect of death.

He openly shared, "I'm not in any way frightened of dying. That doesn't worry me. It's never worried me from the beginning, but I would be annoyed. I'd be annoyed because there are things I still want to do. Very irritating, dying. But I'm not afraid of it."

Sam Neill's battle with cancer took unexpected turns

Neill's journey through illness began when he discovered he had cancer during his first trip back to New Zealand after enduring two years of pandemic-related lockdowns, which made reuniting with his family almost impossible.

The symptoms of angioimmunoblastic T-cell lymphoma can include high fever, night sweats, skin rashes, and autoimmune disorders.

In a poignant recount of the moment he received the diagnosis, his son Tim revealed, "I was shocked, and I broke down, and I could barely hug him. He was just, you know, bones and skin." Their joy at being reunited turned into a heart-wrenching ordeal.

As Neill's health seemed to improve with experimental treatment, he was confronted with another cruel twist of fate—his cancer had returned and worsened.

However, Neill was eventually placed on an experimental cancer drug, which has brought about a year of remission. Yet, he understands that this respite may be temporary.

Tags news