Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Why was Rainn Wilson unhappy with 'The Office' role? Actor 'wasn't enjoying' playing Dwight Schrute while show was on air

2023-07-10 19:16
Rainn Wilson received three Primetime Emmy Award nominations for his role in 'The Office'
Why was Rainn Wilson unhappy with 'The Office' role? Actor 'wasn't enjoying' playing Dwight Schrute while show was on air

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: 'The Office' star Rainn Wilson recently starred as a guest on an upcoming podcast with Bill Maher and revealed why he was unhappy with his role on the classic American sitcom. During the interview, the actor, who played the iconic character of Dwight Schrute on the show, said that he was not as happy as he should have been while the sitcom was on air between 2005 and 2013.

"When I was in The Office, I spent several years really mostly unhappy because it wasn't enough," Wilson admitted as per a transcript of the yet-to-be-released 'Club Random' podcast obtained by Outkick. "I was making hundreds of thousands, I wanted millions, and I was a TV star, but I wanted to be a movie star. It was never enough," the actor confessed.

'I wasn't enjoying it'

Speaking on the podcast, Wilson revealed that he was not having a fulfilling experience while filming for 'The Office' despite making money and working with the likes of John Krasinski, Steve Carell and Jenna Fisher. "I'm on a hit show, Emmy nominated every year, making lots of money working with, like, Steve Carell and Jenna Fisher and John Krasinski and these amazing writers and incredible directors like Paul Feig. I'm on one of the great TV shows. People love it. I wasn't enjoying it," he shared.

"How come I can't have a movie career? Why don't I have this development deal?" the actor said, recalling the thoughts he had during his time at the sitcom. Wilson also revealed that all he was really looking for when he first signed up for the show was to buy a house. However, the actor admitted that he now realizes the value of working on the classic.

"I wasn't thinking about giving laughter as a therapeutic remedy and a balm and a salve to a hurting populace," Wilson added. "What an honor it was to be a part of something like that," he added.

A look at Rainn Wilson's 'The Office' character

Wilson played the role of competent salesman Dwight Kurt Schrute III in 'The Office.' The character was also the assistant of regional manager Michael Gary Scott (Carell) at Dunder Mifflin, a fictional paper distribution company, before becoming the owner of the business park in which the fictional organization is located in later seasons of the show. Wilson's Schrute was also a beet plantation owner and ran a bed and breakfast establishment at Schrute Farms.

The character is known for his love of justice system and passion for martial arts and was also the only character in the show who appeared as well as had a dialogue in every episode of series spanning its nine-season run. Throughout the show, Schrute was shown to be making repeated efforts to become the regional manager of the Dunder Mifflin Scranton branch by serving under regional manager Scott.

Wilson's Schrute was based on the character of Gareth Keenan from the original British version of the show that aired on BBC. In the season one episode commentary DVD, Wilson referred to Schrute as a “fascist nerd.” He also described the character as "someone who does not hate the system but has a deep and abiding love for it,” in a feature for the season three DVD.

As one of the most popular characters on the show, Wilson received immense positive response for his portrayal of Schrute. He also earned three nominations for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series for playing the character.