Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Who sang the theme song for 'Friends'? Track has had over 1.3M streams across Spotify and YouTube since Matthew Perry's death

2023-10-31 17:52
Initially, rock band R.E.M. was approached to use their track 'Shiny Happy People' as the theme song
Who sang the theme song for 'Friends'? Track has had over 1.3M streams across Spotify and YouTube since Matthew Perry's death

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: While fans the world over are expressing their sorrow over the death of 'Friends' star Matthew Perry, it is the popular theme song of the hit sitcom that is offering solace to the grief-stricken.

Perry was widely recognized for his portrayal of Chandler Bing in the renowned show 'Friends'.

The recognizable melody of the show's theme song, 'I'll Be There for You' by The Rembrandts, has offered comfort to his admirers.

The iconic theme song for the NBC sitcom which aired from 1994 to 2004, was penned by David Crane, Marta Kauffman, Michael Skloff, and Allee Willis, according to Independent. Initially, the American rock band R.E.M. was approached to use their track 'Shiny Happy People' as the theme song for 'Friends'. However, they declined the offer.

As a result, the song 'I’ll Be There for You' was composed. Warner Bros. Television then chose the southern California band, the only band available on Warner Bros. Records at the time, to perform it.

In light of Perry's unfortunate death, fans have sought comfort in the well-known melody, leading to a significant surge in the song's popularity.

‘Friends’ theme song skyrockets in popularity after Matthew Perry’s death

The theme song of 'Friends' has always held a special place in the hearts of fans. However, its recent rise in popularity reflects the global admiration and affection for Matthew Perry.

Since the passing of Matthew Perry, the theme song of 'Friends', 'I’ll Be There for You', has seen a significant increase in streams, with over 1.3 million plays on Spotify and YouTube, as per TMZ.

In addition to his memoir 'Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing: A Memoir', other books about Matthew are also in high demand. Two biographies have become bestsellers, and a 'Friends' coloring book is also seeing increased sales on Amazon.

TBS has scheduled 'Best of Chandler' marathons from Wednesday to Sunday, featuring more than 46 hours of 'Friends' episodes.

Streaming platforms are also honoring Matthew. HBO Max has added a memorial slide reading 'In memory of Matthew Perry 1969-2023' to the start of each 'Friends' episode.

Fans react to the theme song for 'Friends' after Matthew Perry's death

As fans listen to this timeless melody, they fondly recall Perry's memorable portrayal of Chandler Bing, honoring an actor who spread happiness to countless people.

"RIP Matthew Perry, the only person who could have given us Chandler Bing," a fan commented on YouTube.

Another fan said, "RIP Matthew Perry.. I literally grew up with this show, ALWAYS in the background. Coming from a big family we used to watch this with all my siblings back in the day. The cast genuinely felt like my friends and I've seen this series like 34 times from start to finish. Much love and positivity to everybody! <3"

Another fan mentioned, "I feel like I lost a friend today. One of the best shows ever. RIP Matthew Perry."

"So no one told me life's gonna be this way" Damn this hits hard now.....RIP Chandler," noted another fan.

Tags news