Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Swift studies': Taylor Swift fans trade jokes as Internet debates Harvard's new course on pop star

2023-11-28 16:18
Harvard University has launched the 'Taylor Swift and Her World' course for the spring 2024 semester, taught by English professor Stephanie L Burt
'Swift studies': Taylor Swift fans trade jokes as Internet debates Harvard's new course on pop star

CAMBRIDGE, MASSACHUSETTS: Harvard University is the latest among the top schools to offer a Taylor Swift course, reported Entertainment Weekly. Harvard has unveiled an upcoming four-credit course scheduled for the 2024 spring semester.

Titled 'Taylor Swift and Her World', the course will explore pop culture through the lens of Swift. English professor Stephanie Burt will be leading the class.

Universities have previously offered courses focusing on top singers like Jay-Z, Beyonce, Bad Bunny, and Harry Styles.

What is the course about?

The course delves deep into many aspects of the 'Shake It Off' singer's music. According to the course description, it will "move through Swift's own catalogue, including hits, deep cuts, outtakes, re-recordings, considering songwriting as its own art, distinct from poems recited or silently read."

The students will learn "how to study fan culture, celebrity culture, adolescence, adulthood and appropriation; how to think about white texts, Southern texts, transatlantic texts, and queer subtexts," and "how to think about illicit affairs, and hoaxes, champagne problems and incomplete closure." The course will also include reading literary works important to Swift.

Stephanie L Burt is a hardcore Swiftie

The University website description proves why Burt is the best one to teach Swift. "Harvard English professor Stephanie L Burt '94 still remembers the first time she heard it ['You Belong with Me'], describing it as so much "better" and "more compelling" than all the other pop songs that were playing at the time."

The professor is still a "die hard Swiftie," and her passion has "followed her to the classroom."

Which other universities offer Taylor Swift courses?

Swift-themed courses are a part of many universities' curricula. The University of Florida has also announced a one-credit course, 'Musical storytelling with Taylor Swift and other iconic female artists'. Taught by Melina Jimenez, it will dig into Swift's discography along with icons like Aretha Franklin, Billie Holiday, and Dolly Parton.

Several other universities, including Ghent University in Belgium, the University of Texas at Austin, Rice University, Berklee College of Music, the University of California at Berkeley, Arizona State University, New York University, and Stanford, also offer courses on Taylor Swift and the distinctive fan culture she has cultivated.

The seats will likely be filled quickly, just like her Eras Tour tickets.

Netizens have mixed reactions to Harvard's Taylor Swift course

Netizens are divided by the report of Harvard University offering a course on studying Swift and her music.

One user said, "Who will waste their resources to go study a Taylor Swift course? To use it for what?"

Another user added, "This will be historic but is it really needed ? Taylor Swift is a Queen and one of the GOATs but I really don't think this is needed. Just my opinion."

"What are they supposed to do with that," asked a third user.

A fourth user shared a meme asking, "Really?"

Another user mocked the course, asking, "May i know what are the job scope for this course????"

Though some users questioned the need for a course on the pop star's music, Swifties are happy with the top universities acknowledging Swift's career and songs and said they would attend the class.

One fan joked, "Is it called, "Swift Studies"?"

One user stated, "I will be taking the Berkeley course but it's amazing that all of these top universities are studying the works of Taylor Swift. How can you not call her the music industry?"

"i will be taking courses," said a Swiftie.

Another one said, "I wish i could join." "I will be applying," said one user.

Tags news