Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

What happened to Meg Johnson? 'Emmerdale' co-stars lead tributes as actress dies aged 86

2023-07-03 20:55
'Meg had dementia for the last few years, but battled on personally and professionally regardless,' read the joint statement about Johnson's demise
What happened to Meg Johnson? 'Emmerdale' co-stars lead tributes as actress dies aged 86

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND: 'Emmerdale' and 'Coronation Street' actress Margaret 'Meg' Johnson died at age 86. The esteemed English actress who was born in Manchester and began portraying the iconic soap opera character Pearl Ladderbanks in 2002, suffered dementia in her later years, according to her family members.

Earlier, Meg had spent several years portraying Brigid McKenna in the Channel 4 serial drama 'Brookside' before joining the cast of 'Emmerdale'. She also played Eunice Gee in the ITV drama 'Coronation Street' in the early 1980s, a role she temporarily reprised in 1999. The actress' death occurred four months after the loss of her husband, ITV Granada announcer Charles Foster, which was revealed in February.

Also Read: Robert Irwin and GF Rorie Buckey make stunning red carpet debut as a couple at 'Mission: Impossible 7' premiere

What happened to Meg Johnson?

Meg's family, her talent agency, Jorg Betts Associates, and ITV's 'Emmerdale' production, released a joint statement to confirm the actress' sudden death. The statement said, "It is with great sadness that we announce that actress Meg Johnson passed away peacefully yesterday evening surrounded by her family. Meg was a kind and wonderful lady, full of warmth and always with a twinkle in her eye. Meg had an outstanding career that ended with her playing Pearl Ladderbanks in Emmerdale from 2003." The statement added, "Meg had dementia for the last few years, but battled on personally and professionally regardless. She will be greatly missed by everyone who knew her," as per reports.

'Emmerdale' co-stars post tributes

Also Read: Who is Carlos Mare? Leandro De Niro Rodriguez’s dad grieves as Robert De Niro’s grandson dies aged 19

Danny Miller

Danny Miller who is most recognized for his role as Aaron Dingle in 'Emmerdale' took to Twitter to pay tribute to the legend. He said, "Truly devastated to hear this. Pearl was a fair way to describe our lovely Meg. The creator of ‘pigs bum!!’ – should she ever forget her lines, and a loved soul throughout the building. Shared many laughs with her and Dominic on set."

Also Read: Who is Emily Hirshowitz? Ossining cop arrested for falsely accusing colleagues of sending abusive texts that she sent herself

Lisa Riley

Lisa Riley, who plays Mandy Dingle in 'Emmerdale', hailed Meg Johnson as her mentor, both in life and on the sets. Lisa tweeted, "God bless you Meg. Those many many many days at OTW with David, you taught me so much, discipline, respect, comedy, and how not to take life to (sic) seriously. You are the true meaning of the words-wonderful woman. your energy lives on, because you were so very special. R.I.P. Meg.!"

Samantha Giles

Meg was "such fun," according to Samantha Giles, who played Bernice Blackstock in 'Emmerdale'. The actress said, "So sad to learn of lovely Meg Johnson’s passing, who played the glamorous Pearl in Emmerdale. She was such fun and I particularly remember her famous saying when she got her lines wrong; ‘oh pig’s bum’." She added, "You will be missed xxx."

Gemma Oaten

Gemma Oaten, who from 2011 to 2015 played Rachel Breckle on the ITV soap, also tweeted, "Sending so much love to the Emmerdale family and family of the late and great Meg Johnson. A beautiful woman inside and out, who was always so kind to me during my Emmerdale days. I'm sure Shirley, Freddie, Richard and Co will take good care of her up there RIP lovely Meg x."

More from MEAWW

Carrie Underwood gets matching tattoos with mother Carole and sisters during Vegas girls' day out: 'Never thought I’d see the day'

'Four people I made': Chrissy Teigen shares adorable photos of children after welcoming fourth child

Tags news