Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

What is Alyson Stoner doing now? Ex-Disney star claims they lost role in children's show after coming out as queer

2023-06-24 15:29
Alyson Stoner stated earlier this month that they got fired from a children's program in 2018 after identifying as queer
What is Alyson Stoner doing now? Ex-Disney star claims they lost role in children's show after coming out as queer

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Former Disney child star Alyson Stoner, still best known to millions of millennials as a background dancer for Eminem and Missy Elliot, stated earlier this month that they got fired from a children's program in 2018 after identifying as queer. They have gone on to say how their identity had affected their work, alleging colleagues treated them as "unsafe" when they publicly came out as queer.

The 29-year-old 'Camp Rock' star and Ohio native discussed the alleged persecution they experienced in Hollywood after coming out in 2018 during an interview on the podcast 'I'm Literally Screaming with Spencewuah'.

Alyson said of the time they were considering coming out, "It was really nerve-racking and the reason I ended up doing it was because my girlfriend at the time, we reached a point in our relationship where it felt like it was a disservice to her for her to be hidden." While their roadmap to Hollywood may have been shut because of the alleged discrimination, Alyson is not dwelling on the past any longer. Here's what they are up to now.

What is Alyson Stoner doing now?

'The Guardians of Justice (Will Save You!)' and 'Pete the Cat' are two of Stoner's last voiceover projects. She has also been working on her own online venture, Movement Genius, which aims to encourage individuals to exercise more for better mental health.

Stoner even has a YouTube channel where she shares new music and episodes of her 'Simplexity' podcast. Business Insider states, "In her new show, Stoner aims to understand some of the most pressing issues facing today's global society through interviews with guests from world-renowned businesswomen to hip-hop experts," as per reports.

'They felt that I was unsafe..'

However, the former dancer said that after coming out as LGBT, they were fired from their work, which involved appearing in a children's program. "'I did end up getting fired from a children's show because they felt that I was unsafe now that they knew I was queer to be around kids. 'So, there was definitely discrimination there, but the beauty far outweighs the hate comments and death threats," as reported by DailyMail.

The dancer claimed that before coming out, they discussed the dangers with their management and even the Jonas Brothers' 58-year-old father, Kevin Jonas Sr. They were forewarned by many that they might lose their employability after the revelation.

'He was supportive and helpful in me understanding'

Alyson pointed out that while Kevin was "lovely," some members of their team weren't as encouraging. They said, "He was supportive and helpful in me understanding that there are risks if I do this [and] it's totally my choice, but it could affect not only people's perceptions but hireability for jobs."

Alyson has previously disclosed that their beliefs largely influenced their decision to remain silent about their sexuality for so long. They said, "My faith at that time played a large role in every aspect of my life, and my worldview neither supported nor accepted same-sex relationships. I prayed in turmoil nightly, begging to be healed from these desires."

About Alyson's career in industry

In their early years, Alyson Stoner co-hosted 'Mike's Super Short Show' on the Disney Channel and established themselves as a triple threat. They gained popularity as the "Little Pigtailed Dancer" in Missy Elliott's song video 'Missy Elliott: Work It' (2002) when they were seven years old, winning the hearts of an older generation.

Since their early reign, Alyson has established themselves as a heavyweight juggernaut with blockbuster films like 'Cheaper by the Dozen' (2003) and the 'Step Up' trilogy, popular TV shows on cable and networks, and viral videos that set records. Prior to the release of their EP, 'While You Were Sleeping', they just finished a 24-city national tour with their original music. They also serves as Head of Music for the acclaimed QWunder app, which teaches kids emotional and social intelligence, as reported by IMDB.