Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Troye Sivan reveals how Janet Jackson inspired his latest album

2023-10-18 19:24
Troye Sivan has opened up about the way Janet Jackson informed his latest album.
Troye Sivan reveals how Janet Jackson inspired his latest album

Troye Sivan has revealed how Janet Jackson's 'Together Again' "changed the trajectory" of his music.

The 'Rush' hitmaker has explained how he wanted the songs on his latest album 'Something to Give Each Other' to ooze warmth and joy like his idol's 1977 classic.

Speaking on Billboard's 'Pop Shop' podcast, he said: “I talk a lot about Janet Jackson because she’s so important to me, but I saw her show at the Hollywood Bowl really early on in the process. And, to me, it took me right back to when was I was like, however old I was, I was probably like seven … hearing ‘Together Again’ for the first time. And that melody and those chords and the warmth that’s in that song literally changed the trajectory of my life. The trajectory of my life as a musician and as a songwriter, specifically. And that’s something that I was really really striving for [on the new album]. I wanted something warm.”

The 28-year-old pop star also revealed he had to really push his team to agree to make the music video "of his dreams" for lead single 'Rush' after being told the promotional format is "dead".

He shared: "First things first, considering all of my references for a good pop star growing up, were those who made these mega mega mega videos where the budgets were very very different from what they are now. I had so many times, in so many meetings (where people said), like ‘music videos don’t matter, the music video is dead,’ and I pushed and pushed and pushed and I’m so grateful that we go to make the music video of my dreams for ‘Rush’ … It went wider than I think anything ever has of mine before, and that’s really cool. I’m very grateful and thankful.”