Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Dove Cameron reveals she had to dive deep into her past while writing songs, calls it 'a funny, funny exercise'

2023-12-02 04:51
'Some of these songs are about things that happened 10 years ago,' said Dove Cameron
Dove Cameron reveals she had to dive deep into her past while writing songs, calls it 'a funny, funny exercise'

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Dove Cameron's much anticipated new album 'Alchemical: Volume 1' is out. The young musician-actress has been working on her two-part debut album and had to dive deep into her past to come up with gold.

After her ‘Boyfriend’ hit song which became a queer anthem last year, she went on to win two MTV Video Music Awards, an American Music Award and a GLAAD Media Award.

Does Dove Cameron feel the pressure of success?

The 27-year-old said if she feels a sense of pressure or it assures her, she’s on the right path, adding “Definitely both.”

She explained, “I grew up reading articles about how much pressure people feel when they're writing, when they're releasing albums, when they're doing promo, so I know that that's quite normal, and I've been feeling it a little bit. The best part of this job is definitely connecting with humans all over the world, but it's also the actual making of the thing that you're passionate about.”

Dove pointed out the impact of both perspectives while talking with People, “If you're too concerned about this invisible pressure of one-upping yourself or meeting expectations or whatever, you lose that childlike experimentation — the joyful part about this job.”

Dove Cameron's songs are inspired by her life

Reflecting on her journey so far, including her personal struggles in the past decade, Dove said, “This year was a really interesting experience for me because it was almost like I doubled back. Some of these songs are about things that happened 10 years ago.”

The artist continued, “Some of these songs are things that I've never been able to write about. I finally felt like if I didn't write about them, I was going to carry them forward with me. 'God's Game', 'Fragile Things', 'Sand', and 'Still' these more melancholic tracks, they're more focused on who I have been previously before 'Boyfriend', 'Breakfast', and 'We Go Down [Together]' and that was a really interesting exercise.”

Dove then talked about her album release [Alchemical: Volume 1], “[It] is definitely the prequel to where I am now, which is a funny, funny exercise. But I sort of hit a wall early this year with burnout and realizing that I really didn't have a personal life.”

She went on to explain its relevance to her, “My friends and family have always had this sense of worry and stress about me. I think, as a Capricorn and as someone who's highly traumatized, I dove into work so hard at such a young age, and I really didn't construct a community, a life or anything outside of my job.”

Tags news