Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Will there be a 'Peaky Blinders' movie? Cillian Murphy addresses rumors about show's big-screen adaptation

2023-07-18 17:53
'Peaky Blinder's creator Steven Knight recently claimed to have finished the film's script, and fans want Cillian Murphy to return as Tommy Shelby
Will there be a 'Peaky Blinders' movie? Cillian Murphy addresses rumors about show's big-screen adaptation

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: 'Peaky Blinders' may be adapted for the big screen, but Cillian Murphy says he will "wait and see" what happens. The 47-year-old actor, who made a dashing debut on the Radio Times magazine cover, spilled the beans on a potential film project. The star, who will be seen in the upcoming film 'Oppenheimer', shared information about the possibility of the BBC's 'Peaky Blinders' getting turned into a movie.

There is not much time left before the premiere of Christopher Nolan's 'Oppenheimer' and Greta Gerwig's 'Barbie,' two of the most eagerly awaited movies of the year. Their simultaneous releases have sparked a flood of increased enthusiasm, with many fans waiting to know more about the future projects of the cast.

'I would love to do a movie if there’s more story to tell'

Murphy unexpectedly succeeded in persuading Steven Knight, the creator of the TV series, 'Peaky Blinders' that he was the best candidate for the lead role. Knight recently announced that the script for a major movie adaptation was finished. When asked if he had spoken to Knight, Murphy responded, "That’s probably the worst thing about Peaky Blinders – getting asked about the movie all the time! I would love to do a movie if there’s more story to tell. I’ll wait and see but I have no update for you on that," to Radio Time, as reported by Daily Mail.

The Irish actor who portrays Tommy Shelby in the British show also discussed how it gained notoriety. "It started off as a tiny show on a Sunday evening and it grew very slowly and without any hype, without any billboards, without any advertising campaign," Murphy stated, adding, "It just grew because people told other people to watch it. I’m really proud that it has never plateaued and each series has become richer and stronger than the last."

Murphy also discussed the challenges he faced with the various facets of the entertainment industry, saying, "I still struggle with the ancillary aspects of the entertainment business," and added, "There’s an assumption that you have to be a personality. I think that’s not fair, really. If your job is to disappear into character and portray a person, surely the sensible approach is to not to reveal too much of your own self. I’m really lucky, happy with my life and, you know, that is part of the bargain. You do sell anonymity and you sell some level of privacy."

Notably, the cast of 'Oppenheimer' abruptly left during its London premiere in solidarity with the ongoing strike. Leading man Murphy, along with Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, and Florence Pugh, arrived on the black carpet an hour earlier than usual to prevent a confrontation after the SAG-AFTRA revealed that it had decided to take action.

'Waiting on the peaky blinders movie'

Excited fans immediately took to social media to address what Murphy intended to say about the revival of 'Peaky Blinders' for the big screen. One fan wrote on Twitter, "Waiting on the peaky blinders movie." Another stated, "I need that peaky blinders movie right now." "PB the movie: will it be done? I hope so. If there's another story to tell,I'm with it. But it must make sense, I'm so proud of the series and the character,I become protective.Steve Knight is a fantastic writer, if he finds something legitimate that justifies a film I'm in it," expressed a 'Peaky Blinders' fan, while one enquired, "Now that Cillian Murphy is done with Oppenheimer can he get started on the Peaky Blinders movie?" "If we get a peaky blinders movie it’s definitely going in ties to WW2," wrote one, hinting at the release of 'Oppenheimer'.