Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Jeopardy!' fans show disapproval for game category: 'Doesn't work for the people at home'

2023-07-28 15:16
A new category of questions was introduced in the latest episode of 'Jeopardy!' but fans at home were unable to enjoy it as much as the live audience
'Jeopardy!' fans show disapproval for game category: 'Doesn't work for the people at home'

CULVER CITY, CALIFORNIA: 'Jeopardy!' has been around on television for as long as anyone can remember and is one of the longest-running game shows. The writers have always been central to keeping things interesting consistently with more interesting categories and trendy clues.

However, it seems like experimenting with new categories and sets of clues can be much of a hit-and-miss situation. In the latest episode of 'Jeopardy!', a brand new category, while fun to watch, was not the favorite of many fans of the show as they found it unsuitable for audiences at home.

'Jeopardy!' introduces the Anagram category

In the episode that aired on July 27, 2023, a category labeled Anatomical Anagrams was introduced in the first round of clues of 'Jeopardy!'. The category demanded answers that were anagrams of a particular word included in the clue itself. One of the clues under this category that none of the contestants figured out was this: "Above the toes and below the neck is this joint, one of a pair." The correct answer was “elbow,” an anagram of the word “below” from the clue.

The contestants seemed to struggle much with this category as it was quite time-consuming. By the time they were able to reread the clue a couple more times, the buzzer went off, indicating that the time was up. Eventually, Alicia Schaffer, the runner-up for the day, managed to breeze through two of these, adding $1,800 to her balance.

'Absolutely doesn't work for the people at home'

A Reddit thread discussed how the category Anatomical Anagram, while interesting, was not really appropriate for the show, especially when it comes to the home audiences who are just as enthusiastic to answer the clues. "I really despise the hidden anagram categories," a fan wrote on the discussion board. Another one agreed saying, "I hate any kind of "clever" categories like that. Before and after, anagrams, word puzzles, any of it. It's not really trivia to me." Others suggested that even if the category was good for the show, they should have executed it differently, as one viewer added, "I wish they kept the clue on the screen longer."

More fans added suggestions like, "I just can't. Until the producers of this show underline, strikethrough, bold, or italicize which word is the anagram we are supposed to be thinking of/focusing on, I just can't. I may be daft." The original poster shared their views saying, "At least they could leave the clue on the screen instead of cutting to the contestants like they usually do, so the home viewers can look for the keyword in the clue. The way they do it now, it absolutely doesn't work for the people at home. I don't know why they don't realize that." Another fan added to it by saying, "Pointing out the specific word to unscramble would be too easy, but underlining part of the clue (five to six words or so) that contains the notable word could be an idea...The bottom row clue was the easiest one by far for me. Funny how that works sometimes."