Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'This is not about you': Internet calls out Amy Schumer over post about 'standing alone' as a Jew

2023-10-15 22:29
Amy Schumer recalled how her heritage made her a target during her school years
'This is not about you': Internet calls out Amy Schumer over post about 'standing alone' as a Jew

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Amy Schumer recently posted a brief and affectionate "love letter" on Instagram to her Jewish friends, family, and followers, in her characteristic, rambling style.

In her message, the 42-year-old comedian reflected on her past, sharing her journey of feeling 'ashamed' of her Jewish identity in her youth.

She recounted how, to fit in with her former classmates, she had to 'laugh along' with hurtful jokes.

Is Amy Schumer Jewish?

Amy Schumer was raised in the Jewish faith and had to face antisemitism during her childhood.

The 'I Feel Pretty' actress also addressed the challenges of her heritage, recounting being a target during her school years.

She vividly remembered being "ridiculed for being Jewish by both students and parents alike."

"Feeling ashamed and scared, I kept it quiet and learned to laugh along at all the "Jew jokes", even making them myself," she revealed.

Amy Schumer shared the difficult experience of confronting stereotypes about Jews being greedy and rich, all while she faced financial struggles.

She disclosed, "I had to share a bed with my mom while living in other families' tiny basements and attics because we had no money."

In a powerful declaration, Schumer expressed that she has embraced her Jewish identity and is unafraid to openly discuss her heritage in public.

"I am Jewish. I am proud. My heart breaks for Israel. It breaks for the innocent people of Gaza too. I love my Palestinian brothers and sisters. Palestinians are not Hamas, who wants only to exterminate the 16 million of us left," she wrote.

Fans remind Schumer 'this is not about you'

The actress's Instagram post did not go down well on the Internet. Someone wrote, "These white Americans gotta stop. You’re “standing alone” on American soil in the comfort of your own home while people across the globe are dying & unable to stand at all. This is not about you. Plz quit."

Another person wrote, "I’m in Israel and I’m suffering from the war and I don’t see it as okay to minimize people’s fears that are related to antisemitism because it’s literally everywhere."

Someone else wrote, "Every race uniting to hate on Amy Schumer," while another said, "Stood alone” you are rich white woman living in new york stop acting oppressed."

Another comment read, "This is not a war on religion though, this is a war on colionalism. stop bringing religion into this, please, unless discussing the forced conversaions & ethnic cleansing happening to palestinians directly."

One user wrote, "Stood alone” mind you she is typing this in her 6 bedroom house mansion in Long Island."

Tags news