Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Did Jason Reynolds reject Marvel? YA fiction author reveals why he changed his mind on 'The View'

2023-07-27 15:55
Reynolds appeared on ‘The View’ to talk about his latest book, ‘Miles Morales Suspended'
Did Jason Reynolds reject Marvel? YA fiction author reveals why he changed his mind on 'The View'

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Miles Morales is one of the most popular and iconic characters in the Marvel universe and has gained immense popularity in recent years. Jason Reynolds, a seasoned author for young adults was approached by Marvel to write a book about Miles Morales, but Reynolds initially declined the request.

On Wednesday, Reynolds appeared on ‘The View’ to talk about his latest book, ‘Miles Morales Suspended,’ and opened up about why he initially declined Marvel’s request to write about Miles Morales, a pivot character to the Spider-man universe, and what eventually changed his mind.

‘You’re such a busy person’

Co-host Sunny Hostin picked up ‘Miles Morales Suspended’ before she turned to Reynolds, “I started reading your book yesterday because we just got it yesterday and I was really excited about it until I reached page 40 something, and my college son is home, and he said – can I read the first forty and then we’ll switch off.” Hostin complimented ‘Miles Morales Suspended’ and introduced the book before diving into the most-anticipated question, “Marvel approached you to do this book but because you’re such a busy person, obviously, you originally felt like you had to decline.” Reynolds agreed with Hostin. In other interviews, Reynolds has never deep-dived into why he declined the offer other than the fact that he was busy with other work. However, he did focus on what changed.

What changed Reynolds’ mind?

Reynolds was quick to discuss how his mind changed about Marvel and Miles Morales, “A group of kids in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I happened to be in Tulsa doing some work, speaking to a school, and before I left the school, the coordinator said – hey man, before you go, I’ve got a group of black boys in school suspension. They could not make the event, they are being detained basically within the school. Can you go say a quick word to them, I don’t want them to miss you.” Reynolds then talked about how he agreed and spoke to the kids who were in suspension, and who then asked Reynolds what he was working on.

He told them, “Marvel called me the other day and they want me to do this Miles Morales thing, and at the time no one knew who Miles Morales was.” Reynolds explained the character to them and how Miles Morales was half-black and half-Puerto Rican. Reynolds gauged the kids’ excitement over the character and realized the missed opportunity. He said, “In that moment I realized that I would be a fool, not only for myself, but it would almost feel unloving to not take on the gig.” Reynolds received a round of applause from the audience and the hosts as Hostin thanked him.

Tags news