Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'It led me to a larger life purpose': Taraji P Henson's acting journey unveils her profound commitment to mental health advocacy

2023-12-01 07:20
The actress previously disclosed in June 2019 that she talks to her therapist twice a week
'It led me to a larger life purpose': Taraji P Henson's acting journey unveils her profound commitment to mental health advocacy

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Taraji P Henson has opened up about her life as a mental health activist.

During an interview with ELLE for their December/January 2023 Women in Hollywood issue, Henson, who is set to star in the upcoming film 'The Color Purple,' revealed that her journey as an actress has unveiled her deep-seated passion for mental health.

“Acting put me on a platform, and I always thought that I was touching lives through acting, but this foundation is actually saving lives,” the 53-year-old told the outlet. “I’m grateful that acting led me to a larger life purpose.”

Continuing her narrative, the actress elaborated on her struggle to find a therapist who shared her background when seeking help to cope with her father's death.

She expressed, "I couldn’t find them—it was like looking for a unicorn.” This quest ultimately inspired her to establish the Boris Lawrence Henson Foundation, dedicated to destigmatizing mental health within the Black community.

What does Henson's foundation offer?

The Academy Award-nominated actor, via the foundation named after her father, provides free therapy, supports a scholarship fund for Black therapists, and establishes "wellness pods" at locations such as historically Black colleges and universities.

In April, Henson shared an update on her mental health journey in an appearance on Sherri. She explained on the show that she took a trip to Bali out of necessity.

"I've been doing this for 20-some-odd years. Working, grinding, whatever you want to call it. And I come up for air, and I hit a brick wall," she expressed.

"If you let fear take over, it will let you believe in it. So I got past my fear, I went, [and] I did the whole trip dry. Eat, pray, love. Because going by myself made me stay present. I had to have conversations with these beautiful people I met, and we still stay in touch," she continued.

Henson talks to a therapist twice a week

The actress previously disclosed in June 2019 that she talks to her therapist twice a week. “I can call her at any time I’m having a moment and she’s there,” Henson said. “I was blessed enough to find someone I really gel with. She gets me.”

She continued: “We don’t talk about mental health, we don’t deal with it. For generations, we’ve been told it’s a weakness, to pray our problems away – and that’s just not gonna cut it.”

Tags news