Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

How did Phyllis Coates die? Actress known for her role as Lois Lane in 'Adventures of Superman' was 96

2023-10-13 04:45
Phyllis Coates was the only surviving actor from the series at the time of her death
How did Phyllis Coates die? Actress known for her role as Lois Lane in 'Adventures of Superman' was 96

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Phyllis Coates, known for playing the role of Lois Lane in 'Adventures of Superman,' has breathed her last at the age of 96.

The actress died due to natural causes on Wednesday, October 11, while residing at the Motion Picture Home, her daughter Laura Press confirmed to People.

The death was "very peaceful," she added. Press, while remembering her mother's career, said, "She gave a lot to the industry and her career passed through so many genres," recounting her times as Lois Lane in Westerns and even starring in 'Panther Girl of the Kongo.'

What is Phyllis Coates best known for?

Coates was most notably known for her one-season role as Lois Lane in 'Adventures of Superman' which made her the first actress to play the legendary character on television.

Coates got the TV opportunity after she stepped into the shoes of Lois for the film 'Superman and the Mole Men' in 1951.

Coates was the only surviving actor from the series at the time of her death. The show, consisting of six seasons, aired between 1952 and 1958 and starred, George Reeves, Jack Larson, John Hamilton and Robert Shayne, among others.

The role of Lois Lane was later taken up by Noel Neill after season 1 who died in 2016.

The late star appeared in 26 episodes, earning $350 for each despite serious stunt work.

“We were nearly blown up, beaten up, exploded, exploited — I guess it was because we were young and dumb, but we put up with a lot of stuff,” Coates recounted in an interview with Tom Weaver for the book 'Science Fiction Stars and Horror Heroes.'

“Not too long ago I saw an episode [“Night of Terror”] where I got knocked out!,” she said.

Phyllis Coates was offered several times to return

After season 1 became a huge hit, Coates was offered five times her season 1 salary to return, but she declined.

“I really wanted to get out of 'Superman,'” she said in the book. In 1994, her career came full circle when she appeared as the mother of Lois Lane in ABC’s 'Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.'

After her brief tenure on 'Adventures of Superman,' Coates turned her attention to the big screen. The actress appeared in films like 'I Was a Teenage Frankenstein,' 'The Incredible Petrified World,' and 'Blood Arrow.'

She returned to the TV for dozens of appearances, spending the most time on 'This Is Alice,' 'The Duke and Death Valley Days.'

Coates’ last acting project was as part of a video titled 'Hollywood: The Movie' in 1996, as per IMDb.

The Hollywood Reporter first reported the death of Coates on Thursday, October 12. She leaves behind three children.

Press urged fans to donate to the Humane Society of America in honor of her mother's love for animals.

Tags news