Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Who is Jennette McCurdy's dad? 'iCarly' star found out painful truth about her biological father in her 20s

2023-07-12 21:57
Jennette McCurdy opened up about how her mother, Debra, abused her as a child in her memoir 'I'm Glad My Mom Died'
Who is Jennette McCurdy's dad? 'iCarly' star found out painful truth about her biological father in her 20s

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: Even though Jennette McCurdy is only 31, the former 'Nickelodeon' actor has already endured several traumatic experiences. She is now revealing everything in a gritty and heartbreaking new memoir, 'I’m Glad My Mom Died,' in which she speaks candidly about the abuse she endured at the hands of her late mother, Debra, including being bathed by her till she was 17 and, getting a breast and butt exam after every shower.

McCurdy's memoir, 'I'm Glad My Mom Died', reveals a gritty and painful childhood, a complete opposite of her pleasant on-screen characters. One of the most significant moments, per Buzzfeed, was when the 'iCarly' star found out her father, Mark, whom she always believed to be her father, was not her biological father.

McCurdy's memoir discusses her complicated relationship with Debra. She wrote that her mother's need to control everything was the reason for her difficulties and insecurities. Debra died of cancer in 2013, which made McCurdy's problems worse and caused her to develop eating disorders, addiction and a string of unhealthy relationships.

Who is Jennette McCurdy's dad?

It was when she was in her 20s that McCurdy made the shocking discovery. Mark did not come clean about the situation until after Debra died. It was when he started dating his late wife's high school best friend, Karen, that the truth came out.

According to BuzzFeed, Karen asked him to reveal a very deep dark secret to mend things with McCurdy. It was then that Mark spilled the beans. McCurdy was shocked to find out that her biological father was Andrew, a local Jazz musician. To find out the truth, she attended one of his performances along with some friends, including Miranda Cosgrove. There, Andrew told her he knew she existed but never made any attempt to contact her as he was not sure if Debra had ever told her the truth.

'I get how complicated [my father's] role in that family was'

McCurdy previously told BuzzFeed News that she could understand her father not knowing how to cross her mother but she did not agree with all of his choices. "I get how complicated [my father's] role in that family was," she reportedly said, adding, "My mom had this long affair, had these three other children that weren't his, and I imagine the timing of her cancer played a factor in his sticking around."

McCurdy continued, "But, as much as I try to see it from the point of view of the various adults that were in the household, I just don't have much respect for their approach."

Even though McCurdy has experienced her share of difficulties, she underwent a process of self-healing and once siad that her life felt much more peaceful. When she published her memoir, she dedicated it to her brothers since they have always been encouraging and understanding. Even her grandfather has been a source of love and encouragement. She told The New York Times, "I have people around me now that are so supportive and so loving. It makes me tearful with joy. I feel so safe. I feel so much trust and so much openness."