Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Why is Casey DeSantis being called 'America's Karen'? Outrage over MSNBC panel's diss mocking Florida's first lady

2023-07-10 18:17
John Capehart kicked off the discussion by playing an advertisement for Casey’s initiative and remarking that it was 'really dark'
Why is Casey DeSantis being called 'America's Karen'? Outrage over MSNBC panel's diss mocking Florida's first lady

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: MSNBC’s 'Saturday Show with Jonathan Capehart' sparked furious outrage online after the show's panelists took a dig at Casey DeSantis and mocking her as "America’s Karen" for her 'Mamas for DeSantis' initiative. Capehart invited The Lincoln Project participant Tara Setmayer and MSNBC analyst David Jolly to his show on Saturday, July 8, to discuss Governor Ron DeSantis’ presidential campaign. The 43-year-old Casey DeSantis, the first lady of Florida, has been an active part of his campaign, drumming up grassroots support through her nationwide campaign "to protect the innocence of our children while defending and protecting the rights of parents," as the 'Mamas for DeSantis' website states.

The 56-year-old Capehart kicked off the discussion by playing an advertisement for Casey’s initiative and remarking that it was "really dark." The host then sought an opinion from Jolly, who mocked Casey as "America’s Karen," saying, “Casey DeSantis is a fairly compelling political figure in Florida and now nationally. For many, she’s the brighter side to Florida’s angry governor. For others, she’s become America’s Karen.” The MSNBC analyst added, “I think that’s the ultimate disconnect here with a campaign that needs to embrace more constituencies to get to the White House.”

'She's a wily figure'

The panel then burst out into laughter, with Capehart commenting, “David Jolly, you went for it! Tara, I think David's beaten you in terms of taking my breath away during a segment." He continued, while laughing, "But real quickly, though, because I do want to move on to Mike Pence for a hot second.” Setmayer went for the jugular next, attempting to outdo her fellow panelist, by likening Casey DeSantis to Serena Waterford, the complicit 'evil' housewife from 'The Handmaids Tale' television series, who supports the oppressive regime. “Well, I called her, I called her this, you know, Serena Waterford wannabe needs to cut it out. We see you. So…there's all kinds of names for her,” she said.

Setmayer continued by remarking that Florida's first last has to quit attempting to measure the White House curtains and convincing herself that she is “some kind of Jackie O reincarnate”. “I mean, Casey DeSantis, keep an eye on her, though. She's a wily figure,” she noted. Additionally, Jolly commented in the episode that Casey is just emphasizing her husband's "losing" message. “This ideology, the DeSantis doctrine, if you will, that our culture wars of the most pressing moment, and we are going to invent these culture wars to terrify voters, that's simply not a message that resonates," Jolly said.

'What a bunch of misogynists'

The panelists’ comments soon garnered immense social media attention, with users calling them ‘misogynists’ for attacking Casey. “What a bunch of misogynists. Intimidated by a strong woman supporting her husband. Shameful,” one user wrote. “But it's MSNBC and nobody heard it,” a second user said, while a third fumed "Of course they will attack a breast cancer survivor. She’s a Republican woman. That makes her vile, right ??" “Just another biased, hateful opinion from MSNBC,” another commented. "David Jolly talking about losing, that’s rich! I really can’t believe the people MSNBC parades on their shows," read another tweet.

Tags news