Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Smash Mouth lead vocalist Steve Harwell who was on 'deathbed' dies at 56

2023-09-05 00:48
'Steve Harwell passed peacefully and comfortably at his Idaho home in Boise surrounded by friends and family,' his manager Robert Hayes said
Smash Mouth lead vocalist Steve Harwell who was on 'deathbed' dies at 56

SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA: Smash Mouth lead vocalist Steve Harwell has died. The singer who rose to popularity in the 1990s and 2000s died at the age of 56.

On Monday, September 4, Harwell's manager Robert Hayes confirmed his death in a statement to Rolling Stone.

The 'All Star' singer "passed peacefully and comfortably" at his Idaho home in Boise "surrounded by friends and family."

What happened to Steve Harwell?

An official cause of Harwell's death has not yet been revealed. However, TMZ reported on Sunday, September 9 that the singer was in hospice care and was on his "deathbed."

The group’s former lead singer who suffered liver failure struggled with alcoholism. Hayes stated that Harwell only had days left to live.

embed Instagram post

"Steve is resting at home being cared for by his fiancee and hospice care," the manager told People.

As Harwell's liver disease progressed, his family and friends visited him while he was in hospice at home.

"Even though Steve has not been with Smash Mouth for two years now, and the band continues to tour with new vocalist Zach Goode, his legacy will live on through the music," said Hayes.

Why did Steve Harwell leave Smash Mouth?

embed Instagram post

In 2021, Harwell announced his retirement from Smash Mouth, the rock band formed in 1994 in San Jose, California.

Hit tracks of the band included 'Walkin on the Sun', 'Can't Get Enough of You Baby', and a cover version of the Monkees' 'I'm a Believer'. Many of the band's songs were featured in the 2001 film 'Shrek'.

embed Instagram post

"Ever since I was a kid, I dreamed of being a Rockstar performing in front of sold-out arenas and have been so fortunate to live out that dream," the ex-frontman said at the time.

"To my bandmates, it’s been an honor performing with you all these years and I can’t think of anyone else I would have rather gone on this wild journey with."

The vocalist further expressed his gratitude to his fans and said, "To our loyal and amazing fans, thank you, all of this was possible because of you."

"I’ve tried so hard to power through my physical and mental health issues and to play in front of you one last time, but I just wasn’t able to," he said.

embed Instagram post

During Harwell’s time with Smashmouth since its beginning, the band "sold over 10 Million albums worldwide and topped the charts with two #1 hit singles, five Top 40 singles, three Hot 100 singles, four Billboard 200 albums, and a Grammy nomination," stated Hayes.

embed Instagram post

The singer's retirement from the band came after his personal challenges despite his success.

In 2021, Harwell was caught on camera during an incident at the Big Sip beer fest in Bethel, New York where he slurred his words, threatened the crowd, and apparently gave a Nazi salute to the audience.

Was Steve Harwell dealing with long-term medical issues?

embed Instagram post

At the time of his retirement, a representative for Smash Mouth stated that the incident that led to Harwell's departure was related to "long-term medical issues” and he had "suffered numerous symptoms directly linked with his current medical situation."

His representative said that he reportedly harbored "several types of addiction leading to medical and mental health issues."

Eight years prior to the Big Sip beer fest incident, Harwell suffered from heart failure and was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy which Cleveland Clinic noted that it stemmed from "long-term heavy alcohol use."

embed Instagram post

In July 2001, Harwell dealt with a tragic personal tragedy when his only child Presley Scott Harwell died at the age of 6 months from acute lymphocytic leukemia.

The singer then reportedly created a medical research fund named Presley in his late son's honor.

The foundation intended to promote and advance scientific efforts aimed at battling cancer that led to the death of his child.

Tags news