Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Scarlett Johansson went into 'crisis mode' after she failed 'Gravity' audition: 'I felt frustrated and hopeless'

2023-06-19 18:51
'I had wanted that role so much. It was sort of the straw that broke the camel's back,' said Johansson
Scarlett Johansson went into 'crisis mode' after she failed 'Gravity' audition: 'I felt frustrated and hopeless'

Renowned actress Scarlett Johansson, who is gearing up to amaze audiences once again with her role in Wes Anderson's highly-anticipated film, 'Asteroid City,' recently revealed that her path to success hasn't always been smooth. Johansson confessed that she felt "frustrated and hopeless" after losing out on a dream role that eventually went to Sandra Bullock.

Reflecting on her experiences, the 38-year-old opened up about being overlooked for a role in Alfonso Cuaron’s 2013 3D space epic 'Gravity'. Johansson revealed a peculiar Hollywood audition story, stating, "I did a screen test for the movie 'Gravity', that Bullock is fantastic in, but I had to be in like the full, whole space suit thing, and sort of pretend I was kind of like floating in space... Even though I was just sitting in a chair with a helmet on."

'It was sort of the straw that broke the camel's back!'

In the 2013 sci-fi film that took the world by storm, Bullock, 58, delivered a mesmerizing performance alongside George Clooney, 62. The movie became an instant box office sensation, grossing over $720 million worldwide and receiving critical acclaim. Bullock was nominated for Best Actress at the Academy Awards, Golden Globes, and BAFTAs. The movie earned 10 Oscar nominations, including best picture, and Cuaron won the best director prize.

However, Losing out on 'Gravity' and missing the opportunity to be a part of the blockbuster success it became, as well as being turned down for 'Iron Man 2,' became a turning point for Johansson. "I got turned down for two roles — the first was 'Iron Man 2' and then the other one was Alfonso Cuarón's 'Gravity.'"

'Am I doing the right job?'

"I had wanted that role so much. It was sort of the straw that broke the camel's back. I felt really frustrated and hopeless. Like, 'Am I doing the right job?' The work I was being offered felt deeply unfulfilling," Johansson confessed to Variety.

Despite the setbacks, Johansson's fortunes shifted when she seized the opportunity to portray Black Widow in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Originally, Emily Blunt was cast for the role, but due to scheduling conflicts, Johansson stepped in and embraced the career-defining character, proving her acting prowess and cementing her place in the superhero pantheon. Johansson's journey serves as an inspiring reminder that even the brightest stars face rejection and self-doubt along their path to success. Her resilience and determination have propelled her to new heights, allowing her to showcase her exceptional talent in diverse and challenging roles.