Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Why John Stamos wanted to quit 'Full House'? Actor played Uncle Jesse in 90s hit show

2023-07-22 07:54
The hit sitcom 'Full House' had a successful run from 1987 to 1995 and returned on Netflix for its sequel in 2016
Why John Stamos wanted to quit 'Full House'? Actor played Uncle Jesse in 90s hit show

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: John Stamos wasn’t that amused to see Jodie Sweetin taking away the spotlight from him. The ‘Born to Die’ actor revealed that he almost quit the show after the ‘Full House’ show began to ‘change its course.’ The hit sitcom had a successful run from 1987 to 1995. Some of its cast members included Bob Saget, Candace Cameron Bure, Dave Coulier, and Mary-Kate Olsen.

The 59-year-old was so upset that he even wanted to leave the show and called his agent asking him to get him out of it. The show’s creator Jeff Franklin, shared, "This is a mistake. Get me off this show." Fortunately for fans, Uncle Jesse featured in all eight seasons, who portrayed the character obsessed with Elvis Presley. Moreover, the event came back to reprise his role in the sequel series, ‘Fuller House,’ which went on between 2016 and 2020 on Netflix, reports People.

Why John Stamos wanted to quit 'Full House'?

John Stamos, who ruled the sitcom world in the 90s with his incredible look and acting skills, wanted to leave ‘Full House!’ That’s right, the 59-year-old sat down with the show’s creator Jeff Franklin, during Dave Coulier’s new podcast ‘Full House Rewind,’ as they recalled one incident where Jodie Sweetin, ‘stole the show’ during the cast’s first table read.

"I remembered our first table read," Coulier said, as Franklin added, "Where there's a room full of studio and network executives. They were all there to see Stamos, I think." It didn't take long for everyone to recognize that Sweetin is gifted, “[She] stole the whole thing,” Franklin emphasized. Coulier, who portrayed the character of Joey Gladstone in the series, then recalled, "And I remember walking out with John. He’s like, ‘The whole show is going to be her. We can’t do this!"

'You couldn’t even hear my lines'

At an episode of ‘Hot Ones,’ Stamos shared, “We did a table read of it, and I was the star. I was coming off of ‘General Hospital,’ and all the mothers were like (gestures fawning over him).” Before sharing, “We sit down, and we start reading. And Jodie Sweetin, who plays Stephanie, reads her lines, and people are dying laughing, I mean screaming. I was like, ‘What’s happening here?’ I hated that show at first. The star continued, “I was slinking into my chair, you couldn’t even hear my lines, they were laughing so hard at her.”

After a long hard thought, Stamos decided to stay, “I fought it for a long time. And then I finally said, ‘What am I doing, it’s a beautiful show.’ We built it with sweetness and kindness.”