Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

‘You’re Losing Me’: Taylor Swift 'drops hint' at reason behind Joe Alwyn split in new song

2023-05-27 11:15
Throughout the chorus of the track, Taylor Swift is seemingly warning her lover, 'Stop, you’re losing me'
‘You’re Losing Me’: Taylor Swift 'drops hint' at reason behind Joe Alwyn split in new song

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Taylor Swift has possibly shed light on her breakup with longtime boyfriend Joe Alwyn and even seemingly hinted at the cause behind their split in her new 'From the Vault' track ‘You’re Losing Me.’ The song, which is available only on certain physical copies of her ‘Midnights (The Til Dawn Edition)’ album, is a heartbreaking tale of a relationship running its course.

Throughout the chorus of the track, the singer is seemingly warning her lover, “Stop, you’re losing me.” She is also saying, “My heart won’t start anymore for you / 'Cause you’re losing me,” marking the end of feelings. Towards the climax of the song, she is possibly dropping hints about her boyfriend's reluctance towards marriage by singing, “I wouldn't marry me either.” While Swift is yet to confirm if her new song is about Alwyn, it comes on the heels of the announcement of their split after six years of dating.

READ MORE

Taylor Swift belittles ex Joe Alwyn as she admits her life finally 'makes sense' amid Matty Healy romance

Taylor Swift's songs about Joe Alwyn see a surge in number of streams after couple break-up

Exploring the meaning behind Taylor Swift’s ‘You’re Losing Me’

Swift opens the first verse of her new track with two quotes from some words possibly exchanged in real life. She sings, “You say, ‘I don't understand’ and I say, ‘I know you don’t.’” The singer continues, “We thought a cure would come through in time, now, I fear it won't / Remember lookin’ at this room, we loved it ‘cause of the light / Now, I just sit in the dark and wonder if it’s time,” depicting the beginning of an end of a relationship.

The pre-chorus of the song highlights the conflicting feelings of the heart ahead of a break-up and even mentions a “final blow.” Swift sings, “Do I throw out everything we built or keep it? / I'm getting tired even for a phoenix / Always risin' from the ashes / Mendin' all her gashes / You might just have dealt the final blow.” The singer continues to warn her lover to “stop” as she mentions he is “losing her” throughout the chorus.

She also signals fading feelings by mentioning how her heart no longer starts beating for her potential lover. “I can't find a pulse / My heart won't start anymore for you,” reads the lyrics. In the second verse of the track, Swift talks about sending “signals” to her lover about the potential issues affecting their relationship and mentions how her partner is failing to realize the problems. She belts out, “Every mornin', I glared at you with storms in my eyes / How can you say that you love someone you can't tell is dyin'? / I sent you signals and bit my nails down to the quick / My face was gray, but you wouldn't admit that we were sick.”

The pre-chorus of the song directly depicts the end of a relationship as the Grammy-winner sings, “And the air is thick with loss and indecision / I know my pain is such an imposition / Now, you're running down the hallway / And you know what they all say/ ‘You don't know what you got until it's gone.’” Swift saves perhaps the most heartwrenching part of her song for the bridge, where she provides an unfiltered take on her pain and heartbreak.

She likens the relationship to a “sad song” and reveals how she had to “bleed” to save the same. “How long could we be a sad song / 'Til we were too far gone to bring back to life? / I gave you all my best me's, my endless empathy / And all I did was bleed as I tried to be the bravest soldier.” The Grammy-winner further says, “Fighting in only your army, frontlines, don't you ignore me / I'm the best thing at this party (You're losing me) / And I wouldn't marry me either / A pathological people pleaser / Who only wanted you to see her / And I'm fading, thinkin,’” hinting at how she only wanted her lover to see her true self while getting dubbed as a “pathological people pleaser.”

The singer also seemingly signals a possible disagreement towards marriage plans with her love with the line, “I wouldn't marry me either.” In the final lines of the bridge, Swift pleads her lover to save the dying relationship by saying, “Do something, babe, say something (Say something) / Lose something, babe, risk something (You're losing me) / Choose something, babe, I got nothing (I got nothing) / To believe, unless you're choosing me” only to end the song with the lines from the chorus.

‘Most heartbreaking song she’s written’

Fans of Swift immediately took to Twitter to react to ‘You’re Losing Me’ after its release. “You’re losing me lyrics are making me feel devastated,” one wrote. “You’re losing me's lyrics are simply one of her saddest lyrics. the fact that it also connects to other songs of her with a total different perspective destroys me. we are not ready for her next album,” added another.

“Kinda sick and twisted that the album starts with a song about wanting to stay in love forever (lavender haze) and then ends with you’re losing me,” a third tweeted. “and if i said You’re Losing Me is sadder than All Too We’ll, Dear John, and Last Kiss, and every song ever because it’s the most heartbreaking song she’s written,” one mentioned.

Some fans also shared their disappointment towards Alwyn after the release of the track. ““i wouldn’t marry me either”. joe alwyn you will never see the pearly gates of heaven you will be seeing the wrath of die hard swifties for the next 10 years,” one wrote. “Joe alwyn really was NOT fighting for this whole relationship my god,” another added. Meanwhile others continued to feel sad about the end of their relationship. One tweeted, “2019: i hope you i never lose you 2023: you’re losing me” while another noted, “What’s literally so devastating about You’re Losing Me is that it’s literally Exile 2.0 which they WROTE TOGETHER.”

This article contains remarks made on the Internet by individual people and organizations. MEAWW cannot confirm them independently and does not support claims or opinions being made online.

Tags news epcelebs