Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Former Slipknot drummer Jay Weinberg undergoes hip and femur operation

2023-11-21 16:17
Former Slipknot drummer Jay Weinberg faces a "challenging" road to recovery after he underwent hip and femur surgery just days after he was axed from the band earlier this month.
Former Slipknot drummer Jay Weinberg undergoes hip and femur operation

Former Slipknot drummer Jay Weinberg has undergone hip and femur surgery, just days after he was axed from the band.

The 33-year-old stickman has told how he scheduled the surgery with the intention of being able to recover in time to drum for Slipknot at the Sick New World festival in Las Vegas in April 2024, but Jay is now "disappointed" he won't be playing at the Sin City show after his departure from the ‘Before I Forget’ hitmakers was announced earlier this month.

He wrote on Instagram: "This Tuesday, after three years of careful planning, I underwent an outpatient procedure to repair the torn labrum of my left hip and shave down a misshapen part of my femur - a condition that never impacted my drumming in any way, but I’ve wanted to take care of during downtime from my recording and touring schedule. Since 2020, my priority has been for my playing to go uninterrupted, until a window in the schedule would allow me to complete an expected recovery of about four months. In May, that schedule started to show that this window would be now.

"After a follow-up MRI in August, I made the decision (alongside those close to me in my personal and professional life) to schedule this surgery immediately following the last performance of 2023, with the ambition and expectation of myself and my doctors to be stage-ready for the next show in April. A commitment I made to myself and to you — although news of this was kept internal. In fact, knowing I wouldn’t be able to play for a few months was partially my motivation to create my @mixwave instrument - so I could remain collaborative with my own sound until I could return to my drums.

"Though my commitment to healing remains the same, I’ll be disappointed to not see all of you in Vegas as planned. (sic)"

Jay is prepared for his recovery to be a "challenge", but admitted he is "already on the path back" to doing what he loves the most – playing the drums.

He said: "Perhaps some of you are facing your own challenges - we all do. No matter how down-and-out you might feel, there are reasons to be hopeful, and to keep an actively positive mindset. Have your own back. Surround yourself with positive people. Focus on what gives your life meaning and purpose.

"I spent today in a part of NYC that first inspired me to pursue a creative life. It was affirming to revisit a place that brings back memories of discovering metal, punk, and hardcore.

"I believe I’ve always shot from the hip (lol) with you. No reason to change that now. I look forward to sharing my journey with you, and keeping you up-to-date in my adventure back to 100 per cent. Thanks to my awesome team of doctors, I’m already on the path back to what I love doing the most! [drum kit emoji]

The path forward through this recovery will be a challenge, but it’s one I’m up for. (sic)"

Last week, Jay admitted he felt "heartbroken and blindsided" after being told he was no longer part of Slipknot, after drumming for the heavy metal outfit for the past nine years.

He wrote on Instagram: "I was heartbroken and blindsided to receive the phone call that I did on the morning of November 5th; the news of which, most of you learned shortly after.

"However, I’ve been overwhelmed by - and truly grateful for - the outpouring of love and support I’ve received from this incredible community I consider to be my creative and artistic home."