Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Let us live': Russian drag queens fear looming ban

2023-11-29 21:55
In his small flat in Moscow, Igor was putting purple eyeliner and fake lashes on fellow drag queen Saffron, but their sessions trying out make-up...
'Let us live': Russian drag queens fear looming ban

In his small flat in Moscow, Igor was putting purple eyeliner and fake lashes on fellow drag queen Saffron, but their sessions trying out make-up tips could soon be illegal.

Russia's supreme court is poised to brand the "international LGBT movement" an extremist organisation, cementing a long and painful crackdown on the community.

If the ban is approved as expected, Russians of "non-traditional" sexual orientation or gender identity could face years behind bars.

"What we're doing is not extremist," Saffron told AFP, dismissing the label as she put on a red jacket over a sequin bra.

The 20-year-old, who goes by Valera off-stage, instead said drag shows are a place for audiences and performers alike to explore and reflect on their lives through comedy and tragedy.

"What scares me the most is that we will lose such a wide variety of interesting thoughts, people, and creativity," she said of the looming ban.

Over the last decade, President Vladimir Putin has pushed Russians to adhere to conservative social values promoted by the Orthodox Church.

- 'Inflicting massive trauma' - 

Lawmakers in 2013 banned people from promoting "non-traditional" relationships to children and have piled pressure on liberal corners of society since.

Saffron, who became interested in drag three years ago because it blended her theatre, costume design and make-up skills, said the proposed legislation had instilled "fear" in her.

"I wouldn't want to see my friends, or people I feel connected to, suffer."

Igor -- aka Kate Strafi in drag -- on the other hand said he did not expect the ruling to have a massive impact.

"We didn't have openness before and, logically, we won't have it," the 29-year-old told AFP. 

"The only way forward is to leave the country, because they'll continue to tighten the screws around us," he added.

For security reasons, AFP only used their first names.

The conservative turn in Russia accelerated after the Kremlin deployed troops to Ukraine in February last year. 

Last December Putin widened the 2013 law to criminalise any positive public mention of LGBTQ people or relationships.

In July this year lawmakers then banned medical intervention and administrative procedures that allowed people to change gender.

"Maybe they think they are protecting the population but in reality, they're inflicting massive trauma," Igor said.

He said many people in the LGBTQ community were committing suicide and that there was almost no support for people under pressure. 

"They are afraid to confess to their families, and at the same time society is knocking them down so hard," he said.

- 'Keep living authentically' -

In response to new legislation, drag show organisers are taking extra measures to keep the community safe.

Igor said the rainbow flag is no longer displayed at shows he performs at and that audiences are no longer allowed to take pictures.

Russians targeted by conservative legislation had mostly faced heavy fines but now the "extremist" label could carry jail time. 

But Saffron said she would not give up despite the risks.

"It doesn't matter to me how badly I get knocked over," she said. 

"What's more important is how I can get up, shake off the dust and move on."

"I would like to be able and have the inner strength to keep living and to keep living sincerely, to keep living authentically no matter what," Saffron said. 

She said that she hoped to change people's minds through dialogue, so Russians would understand that drag performers and the LGBTQ community are "just a bunch of diverse, vibrant and interesting individuals."

And she had one plea.

"Even if you think what we are doing is wrong: then just don't engage with drag... Just let the people live their lives."

bur/fg