Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Internet slams Roger Waters for saying Hamas was 'morally bound to resist occupation' on October 7

2023-11-08 17:57
Pink Floyd co-founder Roger Waters sparked outrage and controversy when he appeared on a podcast and defended the actions of Hamas
Internet slams Roger Waters for saying Hamas was 'morally bound to resist occupation' on October 7

MANHATTAN, NEW YORK: Pink Floyd co-founder Roger Waters stated that Hamas was “morally bound to resist occupation” and accused Israel of “making up stories” about the terror attack.

The British musician, 80, sparked outrage this summer by wearing a 'Nazi-style' coat to his gigs, prompting German authorities to probe him after a performance in Berlin.

On the Rumble podcast 'System Update with Glenn Greenwald', the aged rocker stated there was “something very fishy” about Israel not realizing Hamas was invading.

What did Roger Waters say on the podcast?

Waters, who described himself as "an opponent of the whole Zionist exercise" went on to justify Hamas' atrocities, stating the terrorist organization was "absolutely legally and morally bound to resist."

Waters asked: "We don't know what they did do, but was it justified for them to resist the occupation? Yeah! "

"But again it's the Geneva Convention - they are absolutely legally and morally bound to resist the occupation since 1967. It's an obligation."

Roger continued: "As I said in a statement after it, if war crimes were committed I condemn them."

"They have finally come out with figures of how many people were actually killed, who they were, on that day."

"Probably the first 400 were Israeli military personnel - that is not a war crime."

"Of course I don't condemn that but the thing was thrown out of all proportion by the Israelis making up stories about beheading babies."

Waters, according to the host, has been targeted with "character smears and attacks," implying that this is because he has "expressed views that are threatening to people in power."

The guitarist stated antisemitism claims were made "because they have no answer to the argument."

He went on to say: "You cannot defend the state of Israel in the genocide that is going on today and tomorrow and the day after in Gaza."

"It shows that you at least have a platform and that people listen to it - and it is one that they (politicians) do not want people to hear."

On the podcast, he discussed the October 7 invasion, saying, "Let's wait and see what happens, was my first reaction."

"My second reaction was: How the hell did the Israelis not know this was going to happen?"

"And I'm still a little bit down that rabbit hole - didn't the Israeli army hear the bangs when they blew up whatever they had to blow up to get across the border?"

"There's something very fishy about that."

Prior allegations of Antisemitism against Roger

In a documentary, it was claimed that Waters sang an improvised song where he allegedly made an antisemitic remark about his Jewish agent calling him a “f*****g Jew.”

Bob Ezrin, the rocker’s ex-producer, is featured in ‘The Dark Side of Roger Waters,' a recent documentary produced by the Campaign Against Antisemitism (CAA) - following months after Waters' controversial onstage appearance in a Nazi-inspired attire during his latest tour.

According to the documentary, he used antisemitic slurs such as “dirty k***” and “Jew food.”

Allegedly, he also made fun of a Jewish musician's deceased Holocaust survivor grandmother.

Waters faced additional allegations of wanting a massive floating pig at his shows, featuring the Star of David and offensive slogans.

Waters claims to have suggested to his backstage team in an email received in 2010 that the pig be constructed with "filthy k***," "follow the money," and "scum" scrawled on the flanks.

As per the new documentary, the word "k***" is a notoriously derogatory phrase used to degrade Jews, and the money reference is a traditional anti-Jewish stereotype.

The pig was subsequently created without these terms, but with the Star of David and cash signs, which has been a part of Waters' concerts thereafter.

Sir Keir Starmer stated that his party "fully condemns" Mr Waters for "clearly espoused antisemitic views."

The Labour leader urged that the rocker's gigs be canceled in order to prevent him from propagating his "troubling" beliefs.

Mr Gove, the Secretary of Levelling Up in the UK, claimed the former Pink Floyd bassist was "falling short" of an expectation that individuals with a strong public profile "behave responsibly and not abuse their platform."

It occurred after the British Jewish Board of Deputies wrote to prominent politicians, expressing concern about Jewish populations in cities where the musician was set to perform.

"Roger Waters has repeatedly used his enormous platform to bait Jews, but he always claims that he is not antisemitic," said Campaign Against Antisemitism's chief executive Gideon Falter spoke regarding the documentary.

“We believed that there was further evidence out there to the contrary, and the release of The Dark Side of Roger Waters now puts the evidence we obtained in the hands of the public.”

“Is Roger Waters an antisemite? Now people can make up their own minds.”

Waters makes plain his condemnation of Israel's treatment of Palestinians in his concerts and on social media, maintaining that this is his motivation rather than antisemitism.

“I'm an antisemite?” he retorts in his video recordings, which are reproduced in the new documentary, “Are you insane?"

"Clearly, I don't have an antisemitic bone in my body; I never have, I've never done anything antisemitic; I've never said anything antisemitic,” Roger continued.

"The notion that I am antisemitic is ludicrous. This is something that is aimed at anybody who tries to raise their voice against the policies of the current very right-wing, settler-based Israeli government," he added.

“If we shout the lie loud enough – ‘Roger Waters is an anti-Semite’ we'll get people to believe it. Well, no you won't - because it is a lie.”

Internet slams Roger Waters' recent comments

People have let their reactions be known regarding Waters' comments on the 'System Update with Glenn Greenwald' podcast.

One X user said: "He is a flaming antisemite, has been for years. His fans refuse to believe it, they claim all his antisemetic symbolism in his act, are "art". He is absolutely disgusting and turned me off pink floyed music."

Another X user wrote: "Removing Pink Floyd from my playlists. Not another penny."

Another user wrote: "I'm still a Pink Floyd fan. If I couldn't separate the opinions of every leftist entertainer from their work I wouldn't have much of a selection of films and music to choose from."

One X user wrote: "That was an utterly sickening watch. He’ll never get another penny out of my pocket, whether gigs or royalties."

Another user simply wrote: "Lairs."

However, people were in support of some of what Roger claims, with this user saying: "It is perfectly reasonable to be skeptical about the Israelis story. Because it does not make any sense to have such a security breach."

Another person wrote: "Exactly, the elephant in the room."

And this person tweeted: "Are you really quoting a druggie, Soiledman? Come on big guy, do better."

Tags news