Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Britney Spears' fans think they know why singer kept touching her belly while singing 'Everytime'

2023-10-18 21:26
Fans believe Britney Spears was alluding to the abortion of her pregnancy with Justin Timberlake in the 2003 'Everytime' video
Britney Spears' fans think they know why singer kept touching her belly while singing 'Everytime'

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Britney Spears rose to stardom as the stereotypical sugar-pop princess, but with the heartfelt smash 'Everytime', she showcased her serious side in 2003.

In light of the revelations made in her upcoming memoir, 'The Woman in Me', the song has now taken on a whole new meaning.

The Y2K pop sensation's admirers now believe that Britney referred to her abortion in the music video for her 2003 hit song 'Everytime', which she claims she had after her ex-boyfriend Justin Timberlake allegedly got her pregnant.

Annet Artani and Britney co-wrote the song, and David LaChapelle directed the music video, which was released in 2004, per BBC News.

Britney touches belly in live performances

In another music video of Britney performing 'Everytime' on the ABC special 'In The Zone', the singer can be seen touching her belly often, and fans assume she was referring to her lost child.

Live performances of Britney touching her stomach while singing the song and her interrupting a performance to kiss her sons, Sean and Preston, while they were seated in the audience, have also been discussed since Britney disclosed the details of the abortion.

The 41-year-old pop sensation asserts in her soon-to-be-published memoir that the couple, who dated from 1999 to 2002, became pregnant but decided to terminate.

Excerpts taken from Britney's memoir reveal Justin "didn't want to be a father." Britney also stated, "It was a surprise, but for me, it wasn't a tragedy. I loved Justin so much. I always expected us to have a family together one day," as published in People.

Fans revisit 'Everytime' lyrics

After going over the song's lyrics again, some fans think they might be alluding to the abortion; some see them as an apology to the unborn child rather than her lamenting the breakup with Timberlake.

The chorus of the song, "And every time I see you in my dreams I see your face, you're haunting me. I guess I need you, baby," has been interpreted in a new meaning owing to the new revelation.

The song's music video, which was released in April 2004, also included scenes that some fans claim seem to hint at an abortion.

The song was notably written after Britney's breakup with the 'Cry Me a River' singer.

In the now-20-year-old footage, Britney dashes through hospital hallways, racing into a woman's room who seems to be in a state of shock, and then into another where a woman is holding her newborn daughter.

Britney Spears' fans say 'it all makes sense now'

One set of Internet users and Britney fans think the claims are substantial whereas another set of fans believe this is how Britney usually sings.

One fan page took to X (formerly Twitter) to post a video of Britney live at the 2004 'Live on ABC Special In The Zone' and said: "Britney Spears kept touching her stomach during this performance of “Everytime” it all makes sense now."

A second fan hypothesized, "So, Britney Spears’ Everytime is actually a lullaby for her unborn child with Justin Timberlake. This makes the meaning of the song a whole lot different now. She's drowning herself to be with her baby; that's my interpretation of the song & MV."

A third echoed, "The HORRIBLE news about Britney’s abortion bc of Justin Timberlake just took ‘Everytime’ music video to a whole new view. She deserved better."

However, one fan claimed, "It’s to help you sing from your diaphragm. Her singing live is seldom, that’s why it’s noticeable here."

Another added in agreement, "Many singers do this because it helps them with breath control…"

"A lot of ppl do that when they sing … now y’all are about to carry on," said a third.

One user suggested, "Let's not take it too far now. This is a reach for sure."

Another asserted the diaphragm concept and said, "Literally helps singers with their diaphragm but okay go off."

Tags news