Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Carson Daly, 50, recalls struggle with anxiety disorder in early years of career: 'I was scared a lot'

2023-06-23 16:56
Carson Daly shared that he currently feels better than he did in his 20s, attributing much of this improvement to progress in his mental health
Carson Daly, 50, recalls struggle with anxiety disorder in early years of career: 'I was scared a lot'

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: 'Today' host Carson Daly candidly discussed his struggles with a mental disorder during the early stages of his broadcasting career. In a recent interview marking his 50th birthday, Daly shared that he currently feels better than he did in his 20s, attributing much of this improvement to the progress in his mental health.

"I feel better now than I did in my 20s," Daly told Today. "There’s so much self-acceptance that comes with age," he added. Daly revealed that when he started his broadcasting career at the age of 23, he grappled with undiagnosed generalized anxiety disorder. "I suffered for so long without knowing what it was," he said. "I was scared a lot. I always felt panicky. You know that feeling of losing your phone or your wallet? That's how I felt all the time." "I couldn't relax, I couldn’t enjoy life," he added. The host explained that after receiving a diagnosis, he was able to effectively handle his stress by utilizing cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).

What is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)?

Cognitive behavioral therapy is a widely recognized form of psychotherapy that focuses on the connection between a person's thoughts, emotions, and behaviors. CBT is based on the principle that our thoughts influence our feelings and actions. By identifying and challenging negative or distorted thoughts, CBT aims to help individuals develop healthier patterns of thinking and behavior.

In CBT, individuals work with a therapist to identify negative thought patterns or cognitive distortions that contribute to their emotional distress or problematic behaviors. Through various techniques and exercises, such as cognitive restructuring, behavioral experiments, and skill-building, CBT aims to help individuals develop more adaptive ways of thinking and coping with difficulties. It is often used to treat a range of mental health conditions, including anxiety disorders, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD), among others.

'I now have the tools to work through my anxiety'

"I now have the tools to work through my anxiety," Daly explained, adding, "I’ve never felt this strong mentally, and that’s one of the reasons I feel so good about going into my 50s." Daly shared that he recently dedicated a room in his house to mental health, equipping it with a Peloton bike and a cold plunge pool. "My family calls it the ‘Daly Health and Wellness Center,’" he said. "It’s a place where I can go and meditate and read. I get in 40 degree water every day for three minutes," Daly further added.

Daly has been actively discussing mental health since 2018. During his time hosting 'Today', Daly opened up about his struggles, prompted by a segment that featured NBA player Kevin Love sharing his own experience of having a panic attack during an NBA game. "[I] had never read that or seen that or quite frankly heard anybody so famous talk about it, and I experienced one myself. I told my colleagues at work while we were watching this piece on air, ‘Guys, this was me. This happened to me at MTV,’" said Daly at the time.

"I just started talking about it without even thinking…it was taboo. I guess I’m a pretty open person when I’m on television or not," he said. After the show, he received immediate and positive feedback from the public. "I was happy to talk about it, but I couldn’t believe the reaction it got. I already got the sense that, wow, this was a conversation that people really appear to be thirsty for more of," Daly further added.

Tags news