Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Drew Barrymore deletes emotional apology video issued over resuming talk show amid WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes

2023-09-17 20:25
Drew Barrymore received a lot of backlash for deciding to resume the fourth season of her talk show amid the ongoing strikes in Hollywood
Drew Barrymore deletes emotional apology video issued over resuming talk show amid WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: Shortly after addressing the criticism regarding her decision to resume her talk show amid the ongoing WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes, Drew Barrymore removed the apology video.

On Friday, September 15, the actress shared a lengthy video on Instagram explaining her choice to restart 'The Drew Barrymore Show', which was scheduled to return on September 18. However, both the video and the original announcement about her show's return were deleted from her page.

Co-head writer of 'The Drew Barrymore Show' speaks out

Cristina Kinon, one of the co-head writers for 'The Drew Barrymore Show' who is participating in the strike, shared her perspective on the matter of resuming the show.

While she remained diplomatic, the writer expressed the view that Barrymore could have taken more substantial actions to support the television industry workers affected by the strikes. Kinon also noted that resuming the show could potentially prolong the strike.

Kinon added, "I know that this show has a crew of hundreds of people who need to be paid, and I understand the perspective of wanting to protect your cast, your crew, and your staff," as per Daily Mail.

When 'The Drew Barrymore Show' returns for its fourth season, actors appearing as guests will be expected to adhere to the rules of the Screen Actors Guild American - Federation Of Television And Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA) strike. This means refraining from discussing or promoting any work affected by the strike.

What did Drew Barrymore say in her emotional apology video?

In the now-deleted emotional apology video, Drew Barrymore acknowledged the backlash she had received for her decision to resume 'The Drew Barrymore Show' amid the strike, describing the situation as "complex."

She stressed that her intentions were never to upset or harm anyone and expressed a desire to take responsibility. The actress also provided further insight into her reasons for proceeding with the new season of the show.

"I believe there's nothing I can do or say at this moment to make it OK," said Barrymore, adding, "I wanted to own a decision so that it wasn't a PR, protected situation," at the beginning of the apology video, as per PEOPLE Magazine.

The actress continued, "And I would just take full responsibility for my actions. I know there's just nothing I can do that will make this okay for those that are not okay with it. I fully accept that. I fully understand that."

"There are so many reasons why this is so complex, and I just want everyone to know my intentions have never been in a place to upset or hurt anyone more," expressed the actress.

"I've been through so many ups and downs in my life and this is one of them. I deeply apologize to [the] writers. I deeply apologize to unions," added Barrymore.

She further stated, "I deeply apologize. I don't exactly know what to say because sometimes when things are so tough, it's hard to make decisions from that place," along with, "I've been through so many ups and downs in my life and this is one of them. I deeply apologize to [the] writers. I deeply apologize to unions."

Barrymore said, "Why am I doing this? Well, I certainly couldn't have expected this kind of attention, and we aren’t going to break rules, and we will be in compliance. I wanted to do this because as I said, this is bigger than me. And there are other people's jobs on the line."

She concluded by saying, "So, I want to just put one foot in front of the other and make a show that's there for people regardless of anything else that's happening in the world because that's when I think we all need something that wants to be there, being very realistic in very realistic times. So that is my why."

Tags news