Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

What happened to Ty Pennington? 'Battle on the Beach' host says his ADHD diagnosis was a 'game changer'

2023-06-26 08:19
Ty Pennington, who wasn't diagnosed with ADHD until college, called life as a young kid 'frustrating'
What happened to Ty Pennington? 'Battle on the Beach' host says his ADHD diagnosis was a 'game changer'

SAVANNAH, GEORGIA: Ty Pennington used to be one of the top home remodeling gurus on TV, thanks to the TLC shows 'Trading Spaces' and 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition.' But suddenly, he's disappeared from the screens. Find out what really happened to the charming Georgian host here.

Ty could not acquire another big program when he departed 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' in 2012, despite he landed numerous new shows including 'The Revolution,' 'On The Menu', and 'American Diner Revival.' He also returned to 'Trading Spaces' in 2019 and 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' in 2020, but nothing resonated with him as much as his previous accomplishments, leaving him looking for the next chance. But that doesn't mean Ty isn't a busy man with a full plate. On June 4, he will co-host 'Battle on the Beach' with HGTV design gurus Taniya Nayak and Alison Victoria.

'I'm now seeing life in a different way'

Ty is recognized for his contagious explosive energy, which helped him become a TV sensation since viewers couldn't get enough of his impassioned demeanor. But something was motivating that vivacious personality: a common disease. Ty discovered later in life that he had ADHD, which explained why he suffered so much in school, according to Fox News. ADHD commonly manifests itself throughout childhood. Hyperactivity and difficulty focusing on homework are two characteristics to check for (CDC). Children who are not recognized and treated with medication and treatment may experience feelings of poor self-worth as if they are not good enough.

He wasn't diagnosed until college, but once he was, he felt relieved. "It was a game changer for me because it really did open my mind to the fact that maybe there was something wrong with me," Ty told People. "I'm now seeing life in a different way, because I didn't fail at everything (anymore)." The celebrity has addressed ADHD on his website, revealing what parents should look for if they suspect their children have ADHD. He warned of indicators such as inattention, hyperactivity, impulsiveness, being easily distracted, and inconsistency.

'This was my wake-up call'

Nobody is flawless, and Ty is no exception. Ty faced a big stumbling block on his route to stardom in 2007 when he was arrested for DUI, CBI reports. When driving in Los Angeles, the actor was found to have a.08 blood alcohol level and had to pay $5,000 bail. He promptly apologized to his supporters for disappointing them. "Under no circumstances should anyone consume alcohol while driving. I could have jeopardized the lives of others, and I am grateful there was no accident or harm done to anyone. This was my wake-up call."

The former host was eventually sentenced to three years probation, fined $1,500, and ordered to undertake a 90-day alcohol education program through CBS. "I'm happy to bring closure to my recent court proceedings," Ty revealed in a statement. "Drinking and driving is never acceptable. I have pleaded no contest and will abide by the court's ruling. I hope this experience can help others as much as it has helped me." He has never received a DUI afterward.

HGTV's 'Battle on the Beach' returns with six new episodes on Sunday, June 4, at 9 pm ET/PT, just in time for beautiful summer weather.