Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Who is Burt Young? Sylvester Stallone mourns loss of 'Rocky' co-star in heartfelt tribute

2023-10-19 20:47
Veteran American actor Burt Young was best known for his portrayal of Paulie in the 'Rocky' movies
Who is Burt Young? Sylvester Stallone mourns loss of 'Rocky' co-star in heartfelt tribute

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Sylvester Stallone has posted an Instagram tribute to his ‘Rocky’ co-star, Burt Young, who died October 8, but whose death just became public only on Wednesday, October 18.

Young played the loudmouth meat packer Paulie, who is the brother of Rocky Balboa’s love interest, Adrian, in the highly successful film series.

His performances in the franchise not only earned him an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor but also endeared him to movie enthusiasts and aficionados from across the globe.

“To my Dear Friend, BURT YOUNG, you were an incredible man’s and artist, I and the World will miss you very much…RIP,” Stallone wrote in an Instagram tribute to his co-star.

Dynamic Duo: Rocky and Paulie

The ‘Rocky’ movies are incomplete without Burt’s presence in them. He and Stallone would form this contrasting duo on-screen which enthralled the audience.

In the movie, Burt’s character Paulie would be certain of Rocky’s downfall especially when it came to facing more deadlier opponents with each passing bout.

This ultimately pays off for the viewer when Rocky inevitably wins. The shock, awe, and unadulterated joy in Paulie’s eyes and face demonstrate and convey the sheer impossibility that has been achieved by the protagonist.

Like two peas in a pod, Paulie would berate, and then motivate Rocky to focus on his upcoming fight. Rocky, in turn, would emotionally support Paulie as his friend when he’s "mad at the world."

Paulie would be in his friend’s corner for the boxing fights but he’s best remembered for his unorthodox but effective training method; opening up his meat locker to allow Rocky to practice hammering the hanging slabs of beef carcasses, in the movie.

Burt’s portrayal of Paulie is like no other, and every time he’s on screen, you can’t help but keep your eyes peeled for his on-screen performance that’s as rooted in reality as you can get.

Stallone and Young appeared together in ‘Rocky’, ‘Rocky II’, ‘Rocky III’, ‘Rocky IV: Rocky vs. Drago’, ‘Rocky V’, and ‘Rocky Balboa’.

World remembers Burt Young

Messages of support, conveying condolences, flooded the comments section of Sylvester’s aforementioned Instagram post. Here are some of the lines people left regarding the actor’s passing.

One user wrote: "If Rocky Was The Perfect Dish Then Paulie Was the Sauce. Rest In Peace Sir Thank You For Your Art."

Another user commented: "This is such sad news. I had the great honor of meeting him briefly here in Philly, he was the kindest man. Rest in peace, Burt. My kids and I will always cherish the joy you brought to our lives."

Another user reminisced of the time he had spent with Burt: "So Sad To Hear. Got To Work And Hang With Burt Years Ago. He Even Taught Me The Sledgehammer Workout, And Then Gave Me His Sledgehammer As A Gift. Such A Sweet Gentle Man. Missing His Presence Already."

One user commented: "Sly you are my idol, I will always remember Burt with the character of Paulie and his famous phrase: Rocko if I could be anyone in life, I would like to be you"

Another user wrote: "Wow this is shocking God bless Burt Young! Needless to say, He was a big part of making the Rocky movies greater than they are bc of the heartfelt character Burt played in the films! You did real Good in acting & I'm sure you did real Good in your life R.I.P Burt"

One user commented on the post saying: "A sincere, ironic and special friend...this was Paulie for Rocky and we will never forget him! Today is a sad day, very...you're right Sly @officialslystallone Burt Young will be missed by the whole world! Rip"

Another user said: "Oh no. Not Pauly. I am truly sadden to hear this. Sorry for the loss of your friend @officialslystallone and a great actor. May he rest in peace."

Another user wrote: "Oh no. A legend has passed. Very sorry to hear this. Can't believe this. RIP."

One user shared his condolences by saying: "Heartbreaking indeed and he will be missed but never forgotten. May he rest in peace and may God comfort his family and loved ones..."

The impact of the news of Burt's demise was worldwide, as apparent from this comment: "Rocky taught me that a friend can be imperfect, moody and stubborn, but a good friend never abandons us, like Paulie. Thanks for being part of my childhood, Burt! Grettings from Argentina"

Burt is survived by his daughter Anne and his grandson.

Tags news