Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Friends' star Lisa Kudrow opens up about failed 'SNL' audition: 'I didn't know how to go too far outside of myself'

2023-06-08 15:16
Lisa Kudrow, who is now well-known for playing Phoebe Buffay in 'Friends', once tried out for 'SNL'
'Friends' star Lisa Kudrow opens up about failed 'SNL' audition: 'I didn't know how to go too far outside of myself'

LOA ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: NBC's Emmy-winning late-night comedy program 'Saturday Night Live', created by Lorne Michaels, is the subject of a devastating new book that claims to reveal its toxic behind-the-scenes culture. Journalist and reporter Maureen Ryan's 'Burn It Down: Power, Complicity, And A Call For Change In Hollywood' reveals fresh issues regarding the program, its culture, and its leadership.

According to Ryan, 'SNL' has had a ten-year working culture where "abuse and toxicity are not just permitted but often celebrated." Meanwhile, there are a few celebrities who tried out for 'SNL' but couldn't land the job, including Lisa Kudrow. The 'Friends' star would have joined the cast of Season 16, which debuted in the autumn of 1990, had she passed the audition.

Kudrow's failed audition

Kudrow applied for 'SNL' at the insistence of her friend and fellow founding cast member Laraine Newman. Producer of 'Saturday Night Live', Lorne Michaels, attended a performance by the renowned sketch comedy group The Groundlings, which included Kudrow. Her content, though, wasn't exactly ideal for 'SNL', as the performer herself acknowledged.

'I didn't know how to go too far outside of myself'

Kudrow said in an interview, "The thing about my characters that I did at The Groundlings is they weren't the big crowdpleasers, They really weren't. I didn't know how to go too far outside of myself." She cited some examples, including a biology teacher and an actor appearing on a talk show.

Of course, Kudrow landed 'Friends' a short while after losing out on 'SNL'. She was not the only NBC comedy star, though, to audition for the role. 'SNL' apparently offered Jennifer Aniston a role, but she chose to stay with 'Friends', according to Adam Sandler, an 'SNL' alumnus and Aniston's buddy.