Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Kelly Clarkson interview in which she says she spanks daughter emerges amid toxic workplace claims

2023-05-15 20:27
'I'm not above a spanking, which people aren't necessarily into,' Kelly Clarkson reportedly said
Kelly Clarkson interview in which she says she spanks daughter emerges amid toxic workplace claims

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Kelly Clarkson has been in the news lately because of a number of allegations about the ‘Kelly Clarkson Show’. It was reported that the singer’s ex-employees and a current worker were “overworked, underpaid” as well as “traumatized” under her. The workers also allegedly felt “bullied and intimidated”.

Amid these accusations, an old interview of the singer has resurfaced in which she seems to encourage spanking children and also claimed to use the method on her daughter, River Rose Blackstock. In 2018, ‘The Voice’ coach told ‘98.9 The Buzz’, as per INSIDER, “I'm not above a spanking, which people aren't necessarily into.”

ALSO READ

'I love my team': Kelly Clarkson addresses claims of 'toxic workplace' amid criticism

'Kelly has no clue': 'The Kelly Clarkson Show' employees open up about toxic work culture

‘I'm a well-rounded individual with a lot of character’

“I don't mean hitting her hard. I just mean a spanking. But that's a tricky thing when you're out in public, 'cause then people are like, you know, they think that's wrong or something,” Clarkson said.

Clarkson also went on to say at the time, “I'm from the South, ya'll, so we get spankings. My mom would call the principal if I ever ended up in the principal's office and give permission for her to spank me,” adding, “And then I'd get spanked at home as well. I'm a well-rounded individual with a lot of character, so I think it's fine.”

‘I want you to be honest with me’

The ‘Underneath the Tree’ singer shares River, and her son, Remington Alexander, with her ex-husband, Brandon Blackstock, whom she divorced in 2021. Following the divorce, she opened up about the issues her children faced. She told The Angie Martinez IRL Podcast, as per The Mirror, “Sometimes they'll say, especially the past two years, and it kills me and I want them to be honest, so I don't ever say, 'Oh god, don't tell me that,' but a lot of times it would be like, 'You know, I'm just really sad. I wish mommy and daddy were in the same house.’” She added, “I'm raising that kind of individual. I want you to be honest with me.”

‘Spanking loses effectiveness over time’

Speaking about her spanking comment, psychotherapist Amy Morin told INSIDER in 2018, “Studies are clear that corporal punishment does not work in the long-term. Spanking loses effectiveness over time. Children who are spanked become more aggressive because their parents are modeling hitting.”

“Spanking doesn't teach children new skills or offer them any strategies that help them make better choices in the future. Spanking sends the message that hitting is OK. It's a confusing message to kids to say, 'I'm going to spank you because you hit your brother,'” Morin stated, adding, “I've never met anyone who said, 'I owe all my success to being spanked as a child.' There are many other more effective forms of discipline that teach better life lessons.”

Speaking on the subject, researcher Gustavo Carlo said, “It is very important that parents refrain from physical punishment as it can have long-lasting impacts. If we want to nurture positive behaviors, all parents should teach a child how to regulate their behaviors early.”

Tags news