Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'I’d probably be a better parent': Harrison Ford opens up about balancing parenthood and movie career

2023-06-01 07:17
Harrison Ford, who stayed 'out of town' most of his life, said 'the more constant gardener is the better parent'
'I’d probably be a better parent': Harrison Ford opens up about balancing parenthood and movie career

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Harrison Ford has a few confessions to make when it comes to parenting. The ‘Indiana Jones’ star in a candid interview admitted that he really could have been a better dad to his five children. “If I’d been less successful, I’d probably be a better parent,” said Ford. The legendary actor added that “the more constant gardener is the better parent,” as he has been “out of town, up my own ass, for most of my life.”

The 80-year-old star shares sons Ben, 55, and Willard, 54, with ex-wife Mary Marquardt, and welcomed son Malcolm, 35, and daughter George, 32, from his late ex-wife Melissa Mathison, who passed away in 2015. With his present wife Calista Flockhart, Ford raises adopted son Liam, 22. Talking about her, whom he married in 2010, 'The Fugitive’ star said she gives him ‘S**t’ about not taking his ‘mental health seriously’, but he’s quick to clarify. “I was trying to say, as I explained to her: It’s that I accommodate all of the flaws that people go to psychiatrists to accommodate because I accept my flaws,” the 'Star Wars' actor explained. “I accept my flaws and my failures — I don’t just accept them, I own them.”

'We have been together ever since'

Ford, while talking earlier about his fatherhood, admitted that he didn’t expect to have kids at an older age, “I think Liam was about 6 or 8 months when I met him and Calista,” he told Parade back in 2010. “We have been together ever since.” The ‘Blade Runner’ star isn’t bothered that he has a younger kid at his age, “I have a 9-year-old kid at home. I feel like that father of a 9-year-old kid,” he told the Independent in February 2010. The actor further said that his "older children have taught me a lot about parenting", “My first child was born when I was 25. I reckon I’m a little better at it now,” he said, as reported by Esquire.

'Best [mother] in the world'

Talking about their son Liam, Ford further said, “It’s a wonderful opportunity to be part of a child’s growing up, which is always an endless springtime. You see the blossoming and the growing and the nurturing and the payoff,” in May 2008.

He also praised Flockhart for being “the best [mother] in the world,” while talking to the media outlet, “She’s devoted herself to Liam and has done a really wonderful job raising him. I’m happy to now have a part of the job.” Acknowledging the love and support of Flockhart, Ford said, “[She’s] the best [mother] in the world. She’s devoted herself to Liam and has done a really wonderful job raising him. I’m happy to now have a part of the job.”