Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Hollywood's War on Weight: From Mindy Kaling to Rebel Wilson, how stars changed their body positivity tune

2023-05-31 16:19
People have questioned celebrities who urge people to embrace bodies of all shapes and sizes, only to later lose weight themselves
Hollywood's War on Weight: From Mindy Kaling to Rebel Wilson, how stars changed their body positivity tune

Celebrities who were once trolled for being overweight were later slammed for slimming down despite advocating for body positivity. People have questioned stars who urge people to embrace bodies of all shapes and sizes, only to later lose weight themselves.

For years now, Hollywood has championed weight loss and urged models and actors to remain skinny. In recent times, however, many celebrities have spoken out against people who believe men, and especially women, of only a certain shape and size, are beautiful. Actors and other stars have tried to instill confidence in those who suffer emotional distress, being unable to accept or love their bodies. However, many of these celebrities eventually disappointed fans and were even mocked on social media for losing weight.

Mindy Kaling

After Mindy Kaling, 43, gave birth to two children, her body naturally changed. She was no longer the shape and size that society and the industry consider perfect. At the time, she spoke about embracing her body. "I would love to be the size I was when I was 32 or something, but I just refuse to beat myself up about it," the actress told Shape.

"I love to eat at restaurants, I love to eat home cooking, and I don't like restricting my diet. And [now] I'm like, as long as I'm getting enough nutrients and feeling like my heart and my lungs are really getting exercise, I don't really beat myself up about that," she added.

However, when Kaling appeared at the Oscars this year in a chic white dress, looking visibly thinner, fans were unimpressed. Many recalled her messaging for embracing one's own body and claimed she cannot be called an icon for body positivity.

Rebel Wilson

'Pitch Perfect' actress Rebel Wilson, 43, also promoted body positivity before losing weight. Talking about embracing her body, she wrote in an Instagram post, "I just noticed I put on 3 kg’s on my holiday I’m at an amazing all-inclusive resort…I’ve lost all self control. But you know what? I can get up tomorrow and go to the gym, and hydrate and eat healthy and love myself. It doesn’t help to be hard on yourself but I know what it’s like to feel guilty and not great after eating too much. But if you’re like me just know YOU are more than just your weight, your weight doesn’t define you, just try your best to be healthy and don’t be so hard on yourself. Be the best version of you."

She later slimmed down and was heavily criticized. She said in an interview how people started to treat her differently. "Sometimes being bigger, people didn’t necessarily look twice at you. And now that I’m in good shape, like, people offer to carry my groceries to the car and hold doors open,” she said on 'The Morning Crew with Hughesy, Ed and Erin'.

Lizzo

Grammy winner Lizzo, 35, is extremely popular for her lyrics that send out messages of self-love. However, she was blasted in 2020 after she posted videos of herself doing a detox with various juices.

However, she defended herself in a 2020 Instagram post, saying, "I detoxed my body and I’m still fat. I love my body and I’m still fat. I’m beautiful and I’m still fat. These things are not mutually exclusive. To the people who look to me, please do not starve yourselves. I did not starve myself. I fed myself greens and water and fruit and protein and sunlight. You don’t have to do that to be beautiful or healthy. That was my way. You can do life your way. Remember, despite anything anyone says or does. DO WHAT YOU WANT WITH YOUR BODY."

Lizzo later posted two pictures of herself side by side on TikTok, of her before beginning her health journey versus now. “Both girls are happy,” she said. “That’s the most important part about your lifestyle and loving your body. Shaming people does not make a difference. Loving people for who they are does.”

Ashley Graham

Plus-size model Ashley Graham, 35, is popular for her body-positivity messages. She posted a photo on Instagram after giving birth to a son in 2020, where she is nude, displaying her stretch marks. "Love the skin you’re in," she wrote.

However, Graham was criticized in 2016 when she posted a photo on Instagram, looking visibly slimmer. She was shamed and trolled on social media after posting the pic, captioned, "Glam squad magic."

Adele

Adele, 35, who has always been vocal about being positive about one's body, was trolled in May 2020 for posting a photo after a dramatic weight loss. Adele later addressed the criticism in a conversation with Oprah Winfrey on 'One Night Only' special.

"I'm not shocked or even fazed by it because my body has been objectified my entire career. I'm either too big or too small. I'm either hot or I'm not," the singer said. "I was body positive then and I'm body positive now. It's not my job to validate how people feel about their bodies. I feel bad that it's made anyone feel horrible about themselves, but that's not my job. I'm trying to sort my own life out. I can't add another worry."

Meghan Trainor

Meghan Trainor, 29, has long inspired fans with powerful messages on embracing every shape and size. Her debut single, 'All About That Bass', became a body positivity anthem.

However, she lost 20 lbs in 2018, leaving people feeling betrayed. "I wanna stay looking young forever," she revealed at the time to The Things. "I stopped drinking, stopped doing anything bad to my face, I don't want to deal with acne anymore - I'm 24, I'm over it, and I just want to live 'til I'm 106."