Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Samuel L Jackson slams Donald Trump as a 'racist redneck', calls out GOP's identity politics

2023-06-21 14:57
'They don’t care who you are. If you’re not them, you’re the enemy,' the acclaimed actor said of Trump and the Republicans
Samuel L Jackson slams Donald Trump as a 'racist redneck', calls out GOP's identity politics

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Actor Samuel L Jackson has slammed Donald Trump's presidency and the Republican Party's influence on the nation. The 'Secret Invasion' star called former President Trump a "racist redneck" while calling out the identity politics of the conservative party.

Jackson also reflected on his youth when he struggled with the racism around him as he tried to find his place in the film industry. The 74-years-old actor discussed America's progress in dealing with racism while it continues to witness color-based violence.

Samuel L Jackson on Republicans and their politics

On being asked asked about his involvement in Martin Luther King Jr's funeral, Jackson told Rolling Stone, "The world seems to be in as hard a place as it’s always been." The actor brought up the protests and demonstrations that were held in the country under Trump's presidency and how the state responded to it.

"I learned there’s a certain kind of thing that the powers [Republicans and Trump] that be don’t want us doing. One of them is protesting what they think they want us to do," Jackson said, "So, when George Floyd happened, it was great to see all the different faces of kids out there fighting the injustice and what the power was doing once again to keep you from having an open mind or keep you from creating change that is not the change they want made."

The actor also shared the difficult time he had growing up Black and continues to have for speaking up against Republicans. "When I grew up in segregation, I knew which white people didn’t want to be bothered with me and I knew how they felt about me. I know how the Republicans feel about me now because of what my mindset is. When I see Trump, I see the same rednecks I saw when I was growing up who called me n*****” and tried to keep me in my place," Jackson said, adding, "That’s what the Republican Party is to me. They’re doing it to young people, gay people. They don’t care who you are. If you’re not them, you’re the enemy."

Jackson on Brie Larson's breakdown over Trump's win

Jackson also shared snippets of his close friendship with actress Brie Larson. The actor revealed that they had became good friends while working on 'Kong' and, "We became great friends during that particular experience because we were having such a hard time." Later, Jackson also joined Larson for 'Unicorn Store' during which they got even closer. The actor shared how she was devastated over Trump's presidency win when they witnessed the election together.

"Then, we bonded through the election while we were doing her movie when Donald Trump won," Jackson said, "She was broken and I was like, 'Don’t let ‘em break you. You have to be strong now.'"

Jackson is starring in MCU's mini-series 'Secret Invasion' which has premiered on Disney+ Hotstar.