Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Who is Sheila E? First female solo percussionist to get a star on Hollywood Walk of Fame says she is 'honored'

2023-07-13 01:15
Sheila E will celebrate her star with a concert at The Bourbon Room in Hollywood on Wednesday night, titled 'Sheila E and Friends'
Who is Sheila E? First female solo percussionist to get a star on Hollywood Walk of Fame says she is 'honored'

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Sheila E, the Grammy-nominated musician who has collaborated with icons such as Prince, Marvin Gaye, and Lionel Richie, will receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on Wednesday, becoming the first female solo percussionist to be honored with the distinction. The ceremony will take place at 11.30 am in front of the Musicians Institute at 6752 Hollywood Blvd and will feature speeches by Rock & Roll Hall of Famer Jimmy Jam who is also a star recipient and R&B singer H E R who won an Oscar and a Grammy this year.

The event will be streamed live on the Walk of Fame's website, walkoffame.com, according to ABC7. Sheila E will also perform a song with drums at the ceremony, joined by her father, Pete Escovedo, a Latin jazz legend who received a Latin Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2021 along with his daughter.

'I am honored, humbled, and blessed'

"I am honored, humbled, and blessed to receive this prestigious award," Sheila E told the City News Service. "This is a forever moment that I will cherish for the rest of my life." Born Sheila Escovedo in Oakland in 1957, Sheila E began playing percussion at an early age as her father, percussionist Pete Escovedo, would bring his band and friends like Tito Puente and Eddie Palmieri to their house to rehearse. Her uncles played in a range of groups from punk bands to Santana.“ Growing up around the environment of Carlos Santana and Sly Stone and the Pointer Sisters, Tower of Power, Grateful Dead — we were inspired by all of those musicians," Sheila told Variety.

'I loved music but my goal was to win a gold medal in the Olympics'

Even though Sheila studied music as a child with her father wishing that she play the violin, music wasn't her initial focus as she wanted to win a gold medal in the Olympics as she ran track with soccer. "I loved music but my goal was to win a gold medal in the Olympics," she explained to the publication. However, Sheila E's plans were disrupted at the age of 15, and played her first show with her father. “That changed my whole life,” she says. “I dropped everything. I knew then that this is what I was supposed to do, to play music and be a percussion player and entertainer.”

How she met Prince in Bay Area and exchanged numbers

She then went on to record and tour with some of the biggest names in music, including George Duke, Herbie Hancock, Diana Ross, and Ringo Starr. She met young Prince backstage after a show in the late 1970s and they formed a lasting musical partnership that resulted in hits such as 'Erotic City' and 'A Love Bizarre.' Prince told her he had seen her with George Duke on 'Don Kirshner’s Rock Concert' and 'The Midnight Special.' They exchanged numbers, she recalled her initial meeting with Prince in the Bay area, “and the very next day, that was the beginning of a lifetime of memories.”

'At the height of my career, I said, ‘I’m done for a while''

Sheila E also launched a successful solo career with albums such as 'The Glamorous Life' and 'Romance 1600,' which earned her four Grammy nominations in 1985, including for best new artist. She has since released six more albums, the latest being 'Iconic: Message 4 America' in 2017. However, in 1987 she hit the wall stating, “I was just exhausted. The pressure of trying to do all that needed to be done all the time and taking care of everyone — it was scary at times, it was really crazy. So at the height of my career, I said, ‘I’m done for a while.’” She wanted to play drums again and Prince suggested forming a band. They recruited some of their team members and made the concert film 'Sign ‘o’ the Times' — a showcase of Prince’s onstage magic. She was thrilled to play drums in a rock ‘n’ roll band with a custom-made drum set with triggers. She played it in heels!

Sheila E's relationships with Prince and Rock & Roll Hall of Famer Carlos Santana

Sheila E had a romantic relationship with Prince that lasted for several years. They got engaged in 1987 but broke up after the Lovesexy Tour in 1989. They remained friends and performed together until his death in 2016, as Billboard reported. Sheila E also had a relationship with Carlos Santana, the guitar virtuoso and Rock & Roll Hall of Famer, in the early 1970s. They met when she was 18 and he was 25, and they dated for two years. They also played music together and recorded a song called 'Reach Out' in 1974, according to FameChain. Sheila E said she hopes her star on the Walk of Fame will inspire other young girls and women to pursue their dreams. "I want them to know that anything is possible," she said. "Don't let anyone tell you what you can or cannot do. Believe in yourself and work hard." Sheila E will celebrate her star with a concert at The Bourbon Room in Hollywood on Wednesday night, titled 'Sheila E and Friends.'