Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Who is Guillermo Rodriguez? The man who 'fired' Jimmy Kimmel from his own show

2023-05-20 14:51
Guillermo Rodriguez often appears in comedic skits, interviews celebrities, and contributes to the late-night show's humorous segments
Who is Guillermo Rodriguez? The man who 'fired' Jimmy Kimmel from his own show

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Speculations regarding Jimmy Kimmel's termination from ABC have been circulating online since last month. These unfounded rumors gained momentum following a scripted segment on his late-night talk show 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!' where he was interrupted by Guillermo Rodriguez as part of a comedic skit.

In a recent episode, Kimmel discussed the unexpected firings of Tucker Carlson and Don Lemon from Fox and CNN. During his opening monologue, Kimmel made a humorous remark, saying, "This is like if Ronald McDonald and the Burger King got fired on the same day." However, the monologue was interrupted when Rodriguez delivered an ABC News Special Report.

READ MORE

Fans believe Jimmy Kimmel exposed Guillermo del Toro's 'secret' friendship as he gets candid on talk show

Jimmy Kimmel makes sure no one goes hungry at Oscars with 'surprise' snack boxes, fans say 'class act'

Guillermo Rodriguez 'fired' Kimmel as part of a skit

The scripted bit, along with the interruption, created confusion among some viewers, leading to the false rumor that Kimmel had been fired from his hosting position. "We have some breaking news," Rodriguez said in the fake report. "After 20 years on the air, ABC TV has decided to part ways with its host, Jimmy Kimmel. This was a mutual decision. We want to say thank you to Jimmy Kimmel and his many, many contributions." Guillermo jokingly added, "On a personal note, I would like to say to Jimmy, don’t let the door hit you in your a** on the way out."

Who is Guillermo Rodriguez?

Guillermo Rodriguez is a Mexican-American comedian and television personality. He gained recognition as Jimmy Kimmel's sidekick and security guard on the late-night talk show 'Jimmy Kimmel Live'. Rodriguez often appears in comedic skits, interviews celebrities, and contributes to the show's humorous segments. He has become a beloved and recognizable figure on the show.

Before becoming a sidekick, Rodriguez served as an understudy for "Uncle Frank" Potenza on the show. Rodriguez took over his role, following Potenza's passing in 2011. Rodriguez has also made appearances in various sporting events such as the NBA Finals and Super Bowl. He has also become known for conducting humorous interviews with celebrities at the annual Academy Awards, often offering them tequila. One of his notable skits involved attempting to get LeBron James' attention during practice, with "The King" ignoring him as he prepared for the 2015 NBA Finals.

Throughout the years, Rodriguez made persistent efforts to capture the attention of James, but the basketball superstar consistently ignored the television personality for reasons that remain unclear. However, in an appearance on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' in 2021, James finally provided an explanation for his long-standing disregard for Rodriguez. "See Guillermo, he gave me an opportunity to focus even more during all those Finals runs I had," James said. "I was saying to myself, 'If I could block him out, then the fans have no chance'."

In a heartwarming conclusion to the interview, Rodriguez finally had his long-awaited moment with "The King." The two shared a warm embrace, and their faces were filled with smiles. It was a truly memorable and joyful moment for Rodriguez, who had been a gracious and good-spirited presence throughout all those years of seeking recognition.