Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

From Robin to Canine Crusader: Burt Ward's journey from 'Batman' fame to rescuing 15,500 dogs

2023-06-17 05:18
Burt Ward had several pets at home growing up, and just like his love of superheroes, he also developed a deep affection for animals
From Robin to Canine Crusader: Burt Ward's journey from 'Batman' fame to rescuing 15,500 dogs

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: Burt Ward played Robin in the 1965 primetime TV series 'Batman' alongside Adam West. Based on a comic of the same name, Burt landed the role in his first audition.

Since childhood, Ward loved to read comics, the majority of which was Superman. He, however, had never heard of 'Batman,' the series in which he initially landed the role.

'I knew nothing about 'Batman' or Robin'

"I knew nothing about 'Batman' or Robin," the 77-year-old told the People about his childhood. Ward had several pets at home growing up, and just like his love of superheroes, he also developed a deep affection, and he finally dedicated his life to protecting them. Gently Giants Rescue and Adoptions, a charity organization founded in 1994 by Ward and his wife Tracy, has placed over 15,500 dogs in loving homes.

There are usually 50 dogs available for adoption at the Wards' house

There are usually 50 dogs available for adoption at the Wards' house. They reside in what Ward terms "an animal-friendly community," which enables them to accommodate a large number of rescue dogs, and they reside a good distance from Los Angeles. Sam Simon, the co-creator of 'The Simpsons' and actors Vanessa Williams and America Ferrera have each acquired dogs from the Wards.

'We couldn't stand to see our dogs dying so young'

In addition to Giants Rescue, the pair established 'Gentle Giant Products' in 2005, which sells organic pet food to increase the lifespan of dogs and cats. "We couldn't stand to see our dogs dying so young," says Ward. "When we would lose one, my wife Tracy and I would sob." The venture, as per Ward, has helped enjoy "a wonderful quality of life."

'Holy achievement, Batman!'

While Ward has a modest place in television history and pop culture, the changes he has made for pets may be most important to him because he wants to be remembered "as a person who left this planet better off than I found it." If the dogs whose lives he's improved could speak, they may exclaim, "Holy achievement, Batman!" Elsewhere in the interview, Ward detailed striking the cors with costar Adam West the same day he had the successful audition. "We started talking. Within five minutes, the two of us were laughing. We got along so incredibly, and we never stopped laughing for more than 55 years," Ward says of West who died in 2017.

'The cape was double-thick, bridal satin'

While Ward was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2020 in Hollywood, California. He has several great memories from his time as 'Batman' some of which he chronicles in his 1995 memoir 'Boy Wonder: My Life in Tights,' the show's costume isn't one of them. "Every single thing itched, or pulled, or pinched, or rubbed, or poked. It was horrible," Ward remembers the tights, mask, and other costume components he donned as Robin. "The cape was double-thick, bridal satin. Weighed 15 pounds. Was pulling my head back. I had to literally consciously lean forward to counteract the constant pull of the cape," he adds.

Tags news epcelebs