Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Will Ciri be queer in 'The Witcher' Season 3? Writer says 'fantasy is for everyone'

2023-06-24 13:26
Princess Ciri's sexuality has been a subject of hot debate and Season 3 of 'The Witcher' might finally give us some answers
Will Ciri be queer in 'The Witcher' Season 3? Writer says 'fantasy is for everyone'

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: As we approach the third season of Netflix's fantasy series 'The Witcher', more questions are arising regarding what will and will not be included in the season. One topic of constant speculation is Ciri's sexuality.

The writer of 'The Witcher' previously hinted at exploring Ciri's queerness and sparked anticipation among fans, who quickly delved into the books to find any clues about it. Although the trailer did not reveal much, there is still potential for the upcoming season to deal with Ciri's queerness.

Seeking the book and game Ciri

Queer representation has become increasingly significant, particularly in the context of adaptations. Therefore, it is essential to examine the original source material, which in this case is the fantasy series written by Polish author Andrzej Sapkowski, before speculating on whether a specific aspect of a character will be incorporated into the show. Additionally, the Netflix adaptation has another reference point—the video game inspired by the book series.

The book series does not explicitly say anything about the young princess' queerness, despite some speculation. Her only relationship with a woman originated from an act of assault and cannot be regarded as a consensual and voluntary attraction. Nevertheless, it is not entirely certain that her character lacks any queerness. Conversely, in the game, Ciri explicitly expresses her attraction to women and engages in relationships with them, as is evident from her voice lines.

Will Season 3 have a queer Ciri?

It is difficult to say for certain. The showrunner and writer of 'The Witcher' series, Lauren Schmidt Hissrich, has hinted at the possibility, but no clear revelations have been made so far.

Hissrich told Digital Spy, “I also think with Ciri, that's something that I would say is hinted at in the books, but you never really get into what is her sexuality, and we start to delve into that more as well.”

“All of that is coming down the horizon, and it is fun,” she added. “One of the things that I think that we try very hard to do with The Witcher is show that fantasy is for everyone, and represents everyone.”

On Ciri’s queerness, Hissrich commented, "You see glimpses of her trying to navigate that in the season, in terms of the fact she's like almost becoming quite boy-like. And then I think she sort of then suddenly realizes, 'Actually, I want to embrace my femininity, and I want to embrace being a woman' – and not find herself trying to be a replica of her older brothers."

Season 3 of 'The Witcher' will be available for streaming on Netflix from June 29, 2023.

Tags epsexy