Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

'Black Mirror' fans call Season 6 of Netflix's dystopian anthology 'bland': ‘The magic isn’t there’

2023-06-16 16:46
Many fans are not happy with the change in direction Netflix's 'Black Mirror' has taken, especially considering what the previous seasons promised
'Black Mirror' fans call Season 6 of Netflix's dystopian anthology 'bland': ‘The magic isn’t there’

Warning: Spoilers for 'Black Mirror' Season 6

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: It is often the issue with popular franchises that consistency in theme becomes quite important, especially for the fans who have dedicated themselves for years. But with time, the vision for a TV series can evolve and change from what the fans are expecting. That seems to be the case with the Netflix dystopian anthology series ‘Black Mirror’, which just made a comeback after four long years.

Given the extended time off-air and expectations at an all-time high, fans appear divided over whether the five new films of the season are meeting them. Did ‘Black Mirror’ really lose its magic or is it staying afloat with its changed perspective?

'Dystopian but so bland'

‘Black Mirror’ is known for its outlandish themes and futuristic settings loaded with extraordinary - but not unimaginable - technologies controlling people's lives. The state we are currently in in terms of technology lets the plausibility of it all persist and the creator Charlie Brooker’s ideas hold a sense of impending horror. But the latest season doesn’t seem to be delivering that to most fans.

“Two episodes in and I’m just feeling like that Black Mirror magic isn’t there,” a user shared on a Reddit forum after watching the new episodes. They also claimed the show seemed “dystopian but so bland.” Another user agreed saying, “[‘Black Mirror’] will never have the same tone that made us fall in love with it in the first place ever again, it’s a combination of American media always needing to be very optimistic in tone and Charlie Brooker saying that having a child changed his outlook on the world.”

Other users defended the loss of the “magic” saying, “I think that they didn't even want to bring that ''black mirror magic'' on purpose, because they just want to try something new.” The user continued, “I personally did like just two episodes from this season, but I think that when some show reaches this point, it is very hard to find the equilibrium between keeping moving forward and trying new things while trying to remain that good old ''black mirror magic''.”

A decent season without the 'magic'

The general opinion seems to indicate that the new season of ‘Black Mirror’ is definitely a decent watch while still lacking the elements that the famously dark show's previous iterations promised. This could be explained by the milder take on the horrors of technology, though the show has maintained its comic side along with a brilliant star-studded cast.

A fan said, “It's just not black mirror. This could be any other random show, but it has nothing to do with the topic black mirror was about at all. To me this is why this season failed. I like the episodes when I view them as not part of black mirror.”

Many fans expressed their disappointment over having waited a long time for a show only to be delivered a downer. A user said, “Ironically my favorite episode was Demon79 which was just purely absurd supernatural elements, and honestly I might have enjoyed it more if it didn't carry the black mirror label, but then I probably wouldn't have watched it if it didn't.”

However, fans on the other side of the divide seem to appreciate the change in direction. One such user said, “I’m glad that , as of partway through episode 3, this is less tech focused so far honestly. I know that used to be sort of the point, but how many more episodes can you make about being trapped inside a phone or whatever, you know?”

The latest season of ‘Black Mirror’ is available for streaming on Netflix from June 16, 2023.