Yeyep is Your Go-to Source for All the Latest Entertainment News, from Movies and TV Shows to Music and Fashion.
⎯ 《 Yeyep • Com 》

Bruce Willis' wife Emma Heming seeks guidance on 'caregiver burnout' as actor battles early-onset dementia

2023-05-24 15:51
Dementia coach Gertrude Jordan advised Bruce Willis' wife Emma Heming to allow members of her community to step in and occasionally take over responsibilities
Bruce Willis' wife Emma Heming seeks guidance on 'caregiver burnout' as actor battles early-onset dementia

LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA: In a heartfelt conversation, Emma Heming, the wife of actor Bruce Willis, shared a powerful exchange with Gertrude Jordan, a dementia coach. Heming sought advice on navigating the challenges of being a caregiver for her husband, who was diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia earlier this year. The 44-year-old model expressed her struggles in asking for help and not knowing how to delegate tasks to others.

Jordan provided guidance by suggesting that Heming allow members of her community to step in and occasionally take over responsibilities, such as driving to doctor's appointments or providing companionship for her partner while she focuses on self-care. Heming also discussed the difficulty of having friends and relatives feeling "nervous" or uncertain about interacting with her husband due to his dementia condition.

READ MORE

Bruce Willis’ ‘emotionally tired’ daughters feel ‘overwhelmed’ by support amid dad’s dementia diagnosis

Heartbreaking video shows Bruce Willis speaking and singing for first time since dementia diagnosis

Emma Heming's struggle with husband's Dementia diagnosis

"There not use to seeing the person they knew in a different state... that can be a little tricky," Heming said of her situation at home. To maintain a positive mindset, Heming shared her daily practice of starting the day with gratitude and focusing on her goals and priorities in the morning. Before bed, the star works on "flipping the script" and never dwelling on the "doom and gloom."

When asked directly how she was doing, Emma answered, "Today? Good. After speaking with you, good." "You know, I have my moments. It just depends. I'm hanging in there and doing the best that I can. And, turning my pain into purpose," she continued.

Emma Heming is 'turning pain into purpose'

In March, Heming addressed unfounded claims that she was seeking attention for her husband's dementia diagnosis. Instead, she has made it her mission to raise awareness about aphasia, a condition Willis also battles. Heming promised to use her platform to shed light on her husband's illness and highlight the invaluable role of caregivers. She continued, "And then I’m going to turn my grief and my anger and my sadness into something good around something that feels less than. Watch this space because I didn't come to play."

Support poured in for Heming, with Willis' daughter Scout commenting under the video, "HELL YES! I am so so proud of you!"

Willis, known for his successful acting career, has three daughters with ex-wife Demi Moore and two daughters with Emma Heming. Aphasia affects his ability to speak, write, and comprehend language. Frontotemporal dementia, his more recent diagnosis, presents symptoms such as personality changes, speech difficulties, and motor impairments. At the time, Heming said she was grappling with "paralyzing" grief, saying she was "learning how to live alongside it."

Tags news